Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Headline: Global Warming Is Driving Polar Bears Toward Extinction, Researchers Say

    Sub-Head: By century’s end, polar bears worldwide could become nearly extinct as a result of shrinking sea ice in the Arctic if climate change continues unabated, scientists said.

    The article is probably behind the NY Times paywall, but the head and sub-head say it all.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/20/c...xtinction.html

    Comment


    • go here for dozens of non-paywall polar bear stories

      https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/World+Ne...=Polar%20Bears

      Comment


      • Originally posted by tandfman View Post
        Headline: Global Warming Is Driving Polar Bears Toward Extinction, Researchers Say

        Sub-Head: By century’s end, polar bears worldwide could become nearly extinct as a result of shrinking sea ice in the Arctic if climate change continues unabated, scientists said.
        I'm still smarting from the stellar sea cows demise.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by user4 View Post

          I'm still smarting from the stellar sea cows demise.
          is there any serious situation you can't piss on?

          Comment


          • This seems counter-probability to me but my University Alaska Fairbanks son-in-law, who has spent the last 30 summers studying a particular shorebird on a barren, ice-free, gravel island in the Bering Sea 20 miles north of Barrow, says that for 20 years they rarely saw a polar bear but in the past few years bears have become a dangerous nuisance and the scientists/students have abandoned tents for presumably bear-resistant "huts" and now go armed at all times.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by gh View Post
              is there any serious situation you can't piss on?
              When the hyperventilating comes every 15 minutes about a climate that works in scales of thousands of years and has been anything but static for the last 500 million years it is hard to get worked into high dundgeon. Yes, the Stellar Sea Cow was a marvel that would have made an fantastic addition to an arctic wildlife refuge.
              Last edited by user4; 07-22-2020, 05:55 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by gh View Post

                is there any serious situation you can't piss on?
                With trolls the best thing to do is ignore them....that or block them ...but never feed a troll.
                Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-22-2020, 07:34 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by user4 View Post

                  When the hyperventilating comes every 15 minutes about a climate that works in scales of thousands of years and has been anything but static for the last 500 million years it is hard to get worked into high dungeon.
                  Well said. I dunno why more people do not recognize that man is no match for nature.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                    Well said. I dunno why more people do not recognize that man is no match for nature.
                    With recent findings of a balmy and vibrant green Antarctica no more than a 50million year blink of the solar systems eye, it is hard to take the teen tantrums seriously.

                    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...nia-180951195/

                    Or the fact that the Polar bear is a relative new comer, they evolved from the Brown bear perhaps less than a mere 300 thousand years ago. Let's all take a chill pill!

                    The real tragedies in my mind are the lost species where man killed off some of the greatest animals to walk the earth, the woolly mammoth, the stellar sea cow and the Haast eagle and likely many more that prehistoric man hunted to extinction.

                    For my own preferences, and they are just preferences, nothing moral about it, our efforts should be focused on minimizing our footprint on the globe by stabilizing populations so that future generations inherit the fantastic Earth we inherited.. just a preference.

                    New England is in the grip of real hot spell, temperatures soaring daily into the 80s and even surpassing 90!
                    Last edited by user4; 07-22-2020, 06:46 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

                      Well said. I dunno why more people do not recognize that man is no match for nature.
                      That's rather idiotic.....why fight disease then....what is science all about....

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                        That's rather idiotic.....why fight disease then....what is science all about....
                        Is it idiotic or malicious to take a sentence from someone and twist and adapt it to an entirely different context? Who does that ?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                          man is no match for nature.
                          Tell that to the Amazon rain forest, the melting poles, and the Great Barrier Reef. None of those disasters are Mother Nature's doing.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

                            That's rather idiotic.....why fight disease then....what is science all about....
                            Well, hopefully/thankfully not completely idiotic.
                            Apples and oranges... lets not confuse/equate developing cures for diseases with stopping volcanoes, earthquakes, meteors, continental drift, migration of poles, continental erosion, uplift and subsidence, weather, inexorable geologic/geographic climate change.....

                            Comment


                            • Stopping volcanoes? Is that what you think this is all about...silly indeed....
                              Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-22-2020, 08:55 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Tell that to the Amazon rain forest, the melting poles, and the Great Barrier Reef. None of those disasters are Mother Nature's doing.
                                Guilty on the rain forest (although I do not see how a globally expanding population can ignore natural resources) not guilty on polar warming, agnostic on the reef.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X