Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fun and games on Lon Gisland (Newsday report):

<<Outrage over prolonged power outages, almost a week after Tropical Storm Isaias battered the region, came to a boil Monday with 50,000 PSEG Long Island customers still in the dark while 90 degree heat left them sweltering and with little sense of when relief might finally arrive.

The restoration effort is now expected to bleed to Wednesday and potentially beyond, PSEG officials said, even as forecasters warn of high heat and humidity this week.>>

Comment

• meanwhile, in the Midwest (and yes, "derecho" has appeared on these Boards before: in '13 to be specific).....

Derecho leaves trail of destruction in Iowa before sweeping through Chicago

https://www.accuweather.com/en/sever...outages/792672

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
        meanwhile, in the Midwest (and yes, "derecho" has appeared on these Boards before: in '13 to be specific).....
        First I've heard of it!
        • A line of intense, widespread, and fast-moving windstorms and sometimes thunderstorms that moves across a great distance and is characterized by damaging winds.
          ‘I would like to know what scientific writings about bow echoes and derechos have been published.’
          More example sentences
        Origin - Late 19th century Spanish, literally ‘direct, straight’.

Comment

• Chicago Derecho: Just experienced it and it was an event that I can’t remember experiencing before
          ( probably because I am retired and home all day).
          sunny sky became dark in less than five min and wind became 60-70 mph instantly and rain downpour changed to marble size hail banging on windows. It lasted about 20 min and then calm but dark sky with lightening and rain for another 30 min.
          sun came out slight breeze and in less than hour it passed to next county. News coverage kept everyone prepared as we watched it come from west and cross counties and downtown Chicago Fast. O’Hare airport reported 102 mph winds and Midway airport 84 mph winds
          i believe it was the speed of the tornado wave across state that limited damage to only a few areas..
          State emergency sirens and iPhone alarm gave us just 15 min to tie things down and lock all windows. It came very very fast and severe change from sunshine to darkness in less than 5 min.

Comment

• Wow that is quite the storm....

Comment

• Originally posted by midwestfan View Post
              It lasted about 20 min and then calm but dark sky with lightening and rain for another 30 min.
              sun came out slight breeze and in less than hour it passed to next county.
              In the early 1980s I lived in the Nashville, TN area for a couple of years, otherwise being a west coaster all my life. The awesomeness of the short-term afternoon torrential storms preceded by tornado warnings (Close Encounters of the Third Kind music on the TV with the warning scrolling along the bottom of the screen) was a highlight of my time there, along with the nighttime lightening storms (I'd go sit in my 1970 VW Beetle at night when the storms came through, supposedly safe with the rubber on the ground!) There were numerous times when, caught in such a storm while out driving, I had to pull over for 15-20 minutes for the storm to pass by. I loved that aspect of mid-west/south living.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                First I've heard of it!

funny, Marlow head of it in the ’13 thread:

<<How did I get to 62 without ever hearing of this term, which I have experienced, but for which I never knew there was a word?!>>

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                  funny, Marlow head of it in the ’13 thread:<<How did I get to 62 without ever hearing of this term, which I have experienced, but for which I never knew there was a word?!>>
                  Ha! Marlow and I share an important trait - we don't know everything we know!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Ha! Marlow and I share an important trait - we don't know everything we know!!
                    My 8th grade history teacher, Miss Albisetti, used to always teach us, "You take what you know, apply it to what you don't know, and pretty soon, you'll know what you didn't know."

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

My 8th grade history teacher, Miss Albisetti, used to always teach us, "You take what you know, apply it to what you don't know, and pretty soon, you'll know what you didn't know."
                      I know that I don't know about any of this

Comment

• Probably doesn't belong here, but a hailstorm broke out during a stage of the Criterium du Dauphine. Check out the picture in the link of one riders back after the pelting.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/huge-ha...165656021.html

Comment

• Yikes!

Comment

• Southeastern Massachusetts (Cape area) received our first real rain 🌧️ storm in over a month. Nothing quite like the feeling of rain in early August!.. much needed!

Comment

• Josephine is now the earliest J-named Atlantic tropical storm. In an average hurricane season, the 10th named storm doesn't form until October 19!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ic/3356469001/

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                                Meanwhile, in Phoenix, they're having a heat wave, even by Phoenix standards.

😰

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ea/5544421002/
                                That was July. Here's the latest:

Phoenix update.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X