Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by figo
    this global warming water rising stuff is getting very laughable..... maybe the science joke of the century, kind of like year 2k?
    Google "global warming" and read only the scientific evidence of its very real existence and effect. The 'ice cap melting' scares, however, are just that - 'scares' - in an attempt to get people talking about the 'greenhouse effect' that we are causing. Laugh at your own risk. It may not affect us at all; it's my unborn great-grandkids I'm worried about. In the 1970s it was the big 'Population Bomb' scare that dominated the media. And it worked: fertility rates fell, especially in 'first-world' countries that took it seriously. No one is saying that DRASTIC measures are in order RIGHT NOW, but it behooves us to take this seriously enough to investigate thoroughly.

The Y2K Scare also worked - computer program patches prevented the brunt of the problem (which was, of course, over-hyped to begin with).

Comment

i'm leaning to thinking the side effect of co2 emissions is actually good.
      probably we're better off with a couple of more degrees...

Comment

global warming causes freezing weather again...

http://www.tdn.com/articles/2007/01/16/biz/news04.txt

Freeze destroys 70 percent of California orange crop
        By Los Angeles Times
        Jan 16, 2007 - 06:59:08 am PST

Comment

Climate perils push doomsday clock forward a couple minutes

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070117/sc_ ... clock_dc_4

Comment

It was quite an eruption. As summarized in the book Volcano Cowboys (see bibliography), for nine hours the volcano released the energy of one atomic bomb every second. St. Helens triggered the largest landslide in recorded history -- enough rock and crud to fill a football field 600 miles high.

http://whyfiles.org/031volcano/

a quick off the top retort is that a global village idiot could shoot off a dozen nukes and the overall effect would be less than one significant volcanic eruption.

also the radioactivity of two nukes in japan did not exactly destroy that country as in a few decades the country became the #2 economy with the longest life span in the world.......

that said, nuke scares are good in the sense that people become aware of a potential serious problem....

but the spin doctors use such scares to get their way with political agendas, i.e. weapons of mass destruction for an oil play....

the mass media right now are towing these overblown items,
            the real village idiots are the apathetic public and mass media sucking up to these foolhardy notions....

by in large i don't include the track and field public here to be generally not among the idiots....

Comment

Originally posted by figo
              the real village idiots are the apathetic public and mass media sucking up to these foolhardy notions....
              If they are apathetic they aren’t sucking up to any notion - they are not paying attention at all. The real problems are the people who:

a. are positive that they know it all;

b. are positive that they know more than any of the scientists who are published;

c. are positive that because scientists were once behind a now-disproven ‘fact’ that scientists are never to be trusted again;

d. are positive that these theories are wrong without investigating anything beyond searching the internet to find other people who do not believe in these theories (always a tough thing to find on the internet).

Comment

bham

right you are.

i'm not positive about very much of the stuff i post, which is not to say that i don't assign a reasonable probability of potential truth to it,
                i try to approach topics from a common sense point of view and attempt to provide references which are not too crack potish...

my stuff may come off as a know it all...
                suffice it to say i know less than 0.00000000000000000000000000000001 %
                of what there is to know.

anyway the stuff i post is meant mostly to inspire thinking....
                my attitude is go ahead and google the topic if you're into it and consider my line of thinking (which is often borrowed from others).

and in my opinion, based on experience, the politically correct / apathetic bunch out there contribute to most of the world's evil. you need to look closely at "accepted notions" as the powers that be tend to spin things for personal gain of some sort.

it took a career to figure out these basic things...

so i'm willing to battle and debate points raised.
                in fact in my field, i've battled many a Ph.D,. many a, year many a time..

still the reader needs to be advised, the topics raised in this post are not within my professional area of expertise, i just study a lot of areas out of personal interest, it's fun.

there you have it, beer time.

Comment

figo,

Unfortunately I have absolutely no area of expertise, so I spout off about subjects left and right with equal ignorance.

I do know that the global warming folks have a lot of interesting and enlightening facts to back up their assertions, and have convinced a lot of people a whole lot smarter than me that things are going in the wrong direction, and to a degree unknown in hundreds of thousands of years, even taking those Milankovitch cycles into account. (Best as I can tell the general consensus about the Milankovitch cycles is that they are responsible for the various ice ages we’ve had over the years).

That said, the best thing about the global warning folks is that their solutions are things that are good for us and the environment, even if the global warming thing turns out to be bogus (and in the timeframe that these things happen most or all of us will not be around to find out for sure one way or the other).

Reduce the burning of oil and coal. Fair enough. Both are major environmental polluters; oil makes what happens in the Middle East a lot more important than it would be if our power juice wasn’t there, and oil & coal production are both ugly businesses in many, many ways.

Reforest the earth where we can, another nice thing to do even if global warming turns out to be bogus. Wind/solar/tidal power, hydrogen fuel cells, hybrids, energy efficient appliances, etc. None of these are bad things.

Other than the ‘I hate Gore’ folks I have a hard time figuring why there is so much hostility to the idea that global warming is potentially real and taking steps to mitigate it. All of those steps are great for us and the earth, even if global warming turns out to be the hoax of the century.

OK, I’m with you on beer time (except that I still have a couple of hours at work and a workout ahead of me still).

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                    Unfortunately I have absolutely no area of expertise, so I spout off about subjects left and right with equal ignorance. blah . . .blah . . . blah . . . tree-hugging eco-PC BS . . . yada, yada, yada . . . All of those steps are great for us and the earth, even if global warming turns out to be the hoax of the century.
                    Even though BadHam is obviously a commie pinko, bleeding-heart left wing loonie, who admittedly knows nuthin bout nuthin, he, as a blind squirrel, in an infinite number of universes, given infinite time, can find one acorn, has blundered across the Truth of the matter. The Global-Warming Goombahs, even if TOTALLY wrong, have an agenda that is Mother Earth-friendly. Can we REALLY take the chance, slim as it may be, that they might not be :shock: right??!! This is our only planet for the foreseeable future (and at the rate that NASA is planning deep-space exploration and possible colonization, we might be stuck here for the far, far future also), so I think the sooner and better we take care of it, the better our chances for a habitable future. It's only logical [live long and prosper!].

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                      Originally posted by bad hammy
                      Unfortunately I have absolutely no area of expertise, so I spout off about subjects left and right with equal ignorance. blah . . .blah . . . blah . . . tree-hugging eco-PC BS . . . yada, yada, yada . . . All of those steps are great for us and the earth, even if global warming turns out to be the hoax of the century.
                      Even though BadHam is obviously a commie pinko, bleeding-heart left wing loonie, who admittedly knows nuthin bout nuthin, he, as a blind squirrel, in an infinite number of universes, given infinite time, can find one acorn, has blundered across the Truth of the matter. The Global-Warming Goombahs, even if TOTALLY wrong, have an agenda that is Mother Earth-friendly. Can we REALLY take the chance, slim as it may be, that they might not be :shock: right??!! This is our only planet for the foreseeable future (and at the rate that NASA is planning deep-space exploration and possible colonization, we might be stuck here for the far, far future also), so I think the sooner and better we take care of it, the better our chances for a habitable future. It's only logical [live long and prosper!].
                      Everythings gonna be ok. Everyone please relax and enjoy yourself and dont worry so much- be happy.
                      phsstt!

Comment

Stop burning oil and coal?
                        OK, big guy, you start the ball rolling! Cut off your electricity at home, weave yourself some blankets and grab a bicycle.
                        Been nice having you here on the board, but with your commitment to saving energy, a computer is out of the question.

:twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                          Stop burning oil and coal?
                          OK, big guy, you start the ball rolling! Cut off your electricity at home, weave yourself some blankets and grab a bicycle.
                          Been nice having you here on the board, but with your commitment to saving energy, a computer is out of the question.

:twisted:
                          You're getting old, gm, and your eyesite bad. No one named bad hammy said stop the burning of oil and coal - reducing it. And I already have, thank you very much, and continue to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                            Even though BadHam is obviously a . . . bleeding-heart left wing loonie . . .
                            Beats the alternatives . . .

Comment

Haha, bh, my eyesight gets worse every year, but that was no mistake on my post. If you can figure out a way to make alternative fuels available, cheap and able to work with all the current machinery I have, I will be happy to use them.

Until then... where's that coal bucket? This global warming is freezing me!

Comment

You guys are all correct.
                                Global warming, although not man made, is real and unpreventable but it will do no harm, other than personal sacrifices, to try to ameliorate the ultimate effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X