Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try driving into Palm Springs at 8am and finding ice on the streets and a temp of 35F. That's what happened to me Monday and if you know Palm Springs you'll know how strange that is (btw - I just moved there).

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
      Try driving into Palm Springs at 8am and finding ice on the streets and a temp of 35F. That's what happened to me Monday and if you know Palm Springs you'll know how strange that is (btw - I just moved there).
      Yow! Wonder what it is like at the top of the tramway?!
      Great town, wonderful scenery.

Comment

+6°c and snowing. So much for the snowfall which wasn:t supposed to hit until march.

Comment

I'm not a meteorologist, but I thought that when it was +6 C (43 F), you got rain, not snow.

Comment

That was text tv. Aftonbladet shows it at +2°C. Sun has finally come up. It will rain tonight. Sunday night will be -7°C -- the coldest yet of the winter (if one calls it that).

Comment

Well, my neck of the woods (or valley) are losing a lot of fruit due to freezing weather (Central California). Hope this does not effect the country as bad as people are saying.

Comment

I:ve read that it has been as much as 750.000 pieces of fruit including avocadoes and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                  I:ve read that it has been as much as 750.000 pieces of fruit including avocadoes and oranges.
                  Prices will rise, but I think the economy here will rebound by the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                    Pretty much wiped out all citrus, avocadoes and artichokes. Over $1 Billion in damages. Much of the state declared a state of emergency, tens of thousands of workers out of work. Not pretty . . .

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                      Even though BadHam is obviously a . . . bleeding-heart left wing loonie . . .
                      A bunch of bleeding-heart left wing loonies pressuring Bush for mandatory reductions in climate-changing pollution . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/01 ... index.html

Comment

Somewhat scary report in today's NY Times.

Headline: World Scientists Near Consensus on Warming

Quote:

>>Among the findings in recent drafts:
                        The Arctic Ocean could largely be devoid of sea ice during summer later in the century.
                        Europe’s Mediterranean shores could become barely habitable in summers, while the Alps could shift from snowy winter destinations to summer havens from the heat.
                        Growing seasons in temperate regions will expand, while droughts are likely to ravage further the semiarid regions of Africa and southern Asia. <<

The article does seem to make it clear that these are reasonably good possibilities, but by no means cerrtainties.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/30/world/30climate.html

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                          The article does seem to make it clear that these are reasonably good possibilities, but by no means cerrtainties.
                          So wouldn't this be a good time to err on the side of caution and 'assume' there IS something to this Global Warming 'scare'?

Comment

Originally posted by The New York Times
                            “We basically have three choices: mitigation, adaptation and suffering,” said John Holdren, the president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and an energy and climate expert at Harvard. “We’re going to do some of each. The question is what the mix is going to be. The more mitigation we do, the less adaptation will be required and the less suffering there will be.”
                            Sounds like a reasonable summation of what we are looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                              So wouldn't this be a good time to err on the side of caution and 'assume' there IS something to this Global Warming 'scare'?
                              Well, yes. I think so. A better time may have been a few years ago.

Comment

Question becomes: Will any state or world-wide agency with far enough reach put their foot down and do something about it?

Comment

Working...
                                X