Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied
    Only one of 21 previous Winter Olympic hosts able to stage event again unless climate change problem tackled

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...pic-games-risk

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post

A nagging, like long question remains unanswered: if there were no trailor parks, would there still be tornados?
    So true. 3 of them badly hit in the neighborhood.

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post

I've found that a credit card can work wonders in a pinch (as a scraper, not as a tool to buy one)

Funny you should mention that. My business travel in 1977 was that my Big 8 accounting firm was doing a study on travel agencies who were negotiating commission rates with the airlines. My firm sent guys like me just out of college to visit a random sample of travel agencies.

Today, credit card companies beg students to apply. But in 1977, the general rule was that an applicant needed over two years of full-time employment to get a card. Because American Express (with lots of travel agencies) was a sponsor of the study, they waived the 2-year rule for me and others. This was a real plus for independence. Especially, when I went off to law school later that year and most of my classmates did not have cards.

The bottom line was that my new American Express card was the only credit card in my wallet when I was trying to get the ice off the windshield in Atlanta. I probably would have been afraid I’d damage it using it as an ice-scrapper.

Leave a comment:

• SoCal45

• SoCal45
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
    Spent 30 minutes hunkered down in laundry room during our second Tornado warning this winter. In Sunny S.W. Florida. A Trailer Court was badly damaged.

https://nbc-2.com/news/local/2022/01...ur-fort-myers/
    A nagging, like long question remains unanswered: if there were no trailor parks, would there still be tornados?

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    Massive undersea volcanic eruption just off Tongatapu. The tsunami has caused significant damage in Tonga. Apparently many yachts damaged or wrecked in Northland, New Zealand.
    The eruption was heard in Alaska, about 5,000 miles away,
    Lightning detection networks and satellites tallied more than 60,000 strikes in 15 minutes following the volcano’s initial blast, corresponding to nearly 70 lightning strikes per second. Few, if any, conventional thunderstorms could compare.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...nami-eruption/
    jeremyp
    Last edited by jeremyp; 01-16-2022, 10:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp

• jeremyp
    replied
    Spent 30 minutes hunkered down in laundry room during our second Tornado warning this winter. In Sunny S.W. Florida. A Trailer Court was badly damaged.

https://nbc-2.com/news/local/2022/01...ur-fort-myers/
    jeremyp
    Last edited by jeremyp; 01-16-2022, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki

• Tuariki
    replied
    Massive undersea volcanic eruption just off Tongatapu. The tsunami has caused significant damage in Tonga. Apparently many yachts damaged or wrecked in Northland, New Zealand.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729

• bambam1729
    replied
    That's OK - at our place in New Hampshire the high tomorrow is supposed to be 4 F. - low around -6 to -8 F. That's a high of about -15 C, and low of about -23 C for the Celsius users

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    We may have our coldest 24-hours of the year in northern NJ coming up. The low tonight is supposed to be about 10 degrees with negative wind chill temperatures. The high on Tuesday may not hit 20 degrees. Pretty moderate compared to some other parts of the USA but bone chilling for us here.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay

• DrJay
    replied
    Multi-purpose beer can from New Belgium Brewing. Built-in snow-depth gauge.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

UK New Year's Day record of 16.3C/61.3F in St James's Park in London yesterday.
    And by the morning of Thursday, the 6th, it was below freezing. Ice on the inside of my car's windscreen/windshield.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    .... My car’s windshield was covered with ice and no ice scrapper in the car. ....
    I've found that a credit card can work wonders in a pinch (as a scraper, not as a tool to buy one)

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Shortly after college, I was doing a lot of business travel in early 1977 which was a nasty winter - even flurries in the Bahamas! There was a great AP picture of snow on a car’s windshield with a finger having written the words “Welcome to Tampa!”

A few weeks later, I had to fly from Newark to Atlanta and weather delays got me to the car rental parking lot at 1:30 AM. My car’s windshield was covered with ice and no ice scrapper in the car. With the defroster on full blast and the key chain, I managed to scrape enough off to drive away in about twenty minutes.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp

• jeremyp
    replied
    It finally happened. Snow in Florida. Could be Photo Shopped???

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/wa...-storm-of-2022

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    Preliminary info shows 991 homes destroyed and three people missing and feared dead in the Marshall fire outside Boulder.
    More on Jenny Simpson and her home - https://twitter.com/trackjenny/statu...77834302738439

Home survived but smoky and dirty by her tweet

Leave a comment:

Working...
X