Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSU's Troy Smith

Troy Smith might have won the Heisman Trophy, but the only thing he won in the National Championship Game was the Booby Prize for his anemic offensive production. But who can blame the kid - just look at his past:

In 1993 Smith was placed in foster care while his mother fought a drug addiction.

In 2000 in a HS basketball game, Smith knocked an opposing player unconscious in an altercation.

In 2003, Smith was involved in an altercation outside a dormitory. Smith pleaded no contest to a charge of disorderly conduct and paid a $100 fine.

In 2004, Smith was suspended for breaking an undisclosed team rule before the Alamo Bowl, with Coach Tressel extending the suspension to include the first game of the 2005 season after it was revealed that Smith had allegedly accepted $500 from a booster.

So then the top two Big 10 teams get embarrassed in the Big Bowls, listen to the whining and excuse-making he was quoted (USA Today) as giving:

"It was a lack of execution on my part," he said. "I am one guy who can control everything, and I didn't do a well-enough job. I have to take all the blame in the world."

"I have an understanding that not everything in life will go the way you want it to," Smith said. "Florida is a great team. I have no regrets, though. We came out and fought. If this is the worst thing that can happen in life, I'm cool."

"After this," Smith said, "your true character comes out. This is what makes you grow."

Off-hand I’d say this kid will graduate as a man the school will be very proud to bring back as a role model in future years.

All true - it is a great story. Unfortunately for him, his NFL stock dropped a bit Monday night . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
      All true - it is a great story. Unfortunately for him, his NFL stock dropped a bit Monday night . . .
      Yeah, now instead of being drafted by the Raiders or the Lions he'll be drafted by a team that is actually good(if indeed his "stock" has dropped) and sees him as a talent to develop, not throw to the wolves right out of the gate. That's gotta suck. :roll:
      There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
        Yeah, now instead of being drafted by the Raiders or the Lions he'll be drafted by a team that is actually good(if indeed his "stock" has dropped) and sees him as a talent to develop, not throw to the wolves right out of the gate. That's gotta suck. :roll:
        While there are benefits, it will cost him at the bank.

Comment

While there are benefits, it will cost him at the bank.
          Let's take a look at Matt Leinert, probably a very fair comparison as he "fell" to #10 overall in the 2006 draft, likely the furthest Smith will drop in 2007.

"Leinart's six-year deal is worth about $51 million, including about $14 million in guarantees. He's received a roster bonus of $1.22 million, and he'll get an option bonus of $7.57 million this spring. Throw in his base salary of $275,000 for this season and Leinart will make $9.07 million in his first year. "

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardina ... r0913.html

That ain't peanuts.

edit: He won't drop that far. Just looked at the draft order and the Cleveland Browns pick 3rd. It's hard to imagine the Browns passing on the hometown boy, and they need a QB.

Comment

I'm guessing that Smith falls farther than Leinert - at least Leinert showed up at the Rose Bowl. :shock: :P :wink:

If BillVol were around I'd bet him $10 on it . . . :lol:

Comment

Interesting. I just visited seven different mock draft sites on the web (probably seven losers with darts who know less than I do about football, which ain't saying much). Not one of them had Troy Smith in the first round. All of them had Ted Ginn, Jr. in the first round.

Comment

Troy Smith was never projected to be a top 10 pick. Mel Kiper had him as a late first, early second round pick before Monday night. He's pretty much a carbon copy of another undersized Heisman winner physically speaking. And Charlie Ward, who lead his team to victory in the national championship game, had to turn to the NBA to make a living.

Comment

Heard guy on radio today say it's not fair to judge Smith based on just this one game after a pretty good career.

On the other side of the coin, they were also saying that there may be a big rush to judgment on JaMarcus Russell also based on one good game. Why is he getting inordinate props? Because Brady Quinn has been getting such attention all year--think classic Notre Dame overexposure and hype--and Russell clearly outplayed him the other night.

Of course, perhaps the LSU/Notre Dame game had the effect of at least putting Quinn in more proper perspective.

Comment

Russell is so big, and has such a cannon for an arm (oh dear can he throw FAR), some NFL genius has to be slobbering over the prospect of teaching him the art of QBing.

Smith is a workmanlike QB without the slash, dash and flash of a Vince Young. Second-rounder, but a nice pick-up for someone.

Comment

That reminds me of an issue I noticed in the Sunday paper. UFlorida ended up getting the lionshare of blue-chippers in Florida. More than FSU and Miami combined. Notre Dame poached several. Why DOESN'T Notre Dame win the BCS EVERY YEAR with the talent that must beat a path to their door? They've got all that mythology built up that makes every single state their primary recruiting territory. How many kids can resist the ND sell (they've even got God recruiting for them, ferkreissakes (will I go to hell for that pun?))?

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                        That reminds me of an issue I noticed in the Sunday paper. UFlorida ended up getting the lionshare of blue-chippers in Florida. More than FSU and Miami combined. Notre Dame poached several. Why DOESN'T Notre Dame win the BCS EVERY YEAR with the talent that must beat a path to their door? They've got all that mythology built up that makes every single state their primary recruiting territory. How many kids can resist the ND sell (they've even got God recruiting for them, ferkreissakes (will I go to hell for that pun?))?
                        Indeed, Notre Dame would win the national championship every year if not for their ever-more-demanding academic standards. Over the last 15-20 years, their standards have creeped up in an effort to compete with Ivy League schools. This is the reason it was so tough for them to fill the job following the firings of Bob Davey and Tyrone Willingham. Supposedly, Notre Dame was Urban Meyer's dream job but they wouldn't grant him 5-7 annual academic exemptions, which he said he needed in order to compete. Rumor also has it that they gave in to Charlie Weiss last year when they signed him to that 10 year contract extension and gave him these exemptions. So we'll see what happens over the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                          Russell is so big, and has such a cannon for an arm (oh dear can he throw FAR), some NFL genius has to be slobbering over the prospect of teaching him the art of QBing.
                          Yup, big enough and strong enough to make a major impression at the NFL combine. Might just become the next Ryan Leaf!

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                            Originally posted by gm
                            Yup, big enough and strong enough to make a major impression at the NFL combine. Might just become the next Ryan Leaf!

Speaking of Leaf, he's the new golf(!!) coach at West Texas A&M(filling the hours when he's not the quarterbacks coach).

http://gobuffsgo.cstv.com/sports/m-golf ... 06aaa.html

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                              And Charlie Ward, who lead his team to victory in the national championship game, had to turn to the NBA to make a living.
                              He didn't have to. He was better at basketball. Always heard commentators back then state that the best NFL QB prospect that year never entered the draft.

Comment

Working...
                              X