Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Ginn Jr. enters NFL draft

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-new ... nes-sports

"Ted Ginn Jr., Ohio State's game-breaking returner and receiver, and tailback Antonio Pittman said they would leave the Buckeyes a year early to be available for the NFL draft."

"Ginn and Pittman will join receiver Anthony Gonzalez, who announced last week that he would give up his final season of eligibility to turn pro."

"Ginn sprained his ankle while celebrating after he returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown in the Buckeyes' 41-14 loss to Florida in the BCS national championship. But Ginn's dazzling speed is expected to make him a first-round pick, even though he's likely to miss the scouting combine because his left foot will be in a boot for three to five weeks."

Um, so he suffered a significant injury "while celebrating" his long kick-off return. One wonders what will happen the first time he's blind-sided down-field by a very hostile All-Pro safety. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by George P.
      so he suffered a significant injury "while celebrating" his long kick-off return.
      Here is the photo from the injury:

Comment

Um, so he suffered a significant injury "while celebrating" his long kick-off return. One wonders what will happen the first time he's blind-sided down-field by a very hostile All-Pro safety. :roll:
        What does one thing have to do with another? Anyone can fall victim to a freak injury, and it has nothing to do with how the kid's body is going to stand up to NFL play.

Comment

The fact that he may be prone to injury is precisly why he should go pro and make money before he gets a career ending injury.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
            What does one thing have to do with another? Anyone can fall victim to a freak injury, and it has nothing to do with how the kid's body is going to stand up to NFL play.
            Quite right. Our young Ted Jr. may have a long and brilliant pro football career ahead of him.

But for years -- at least since Ray Norton -- I've watched with bemusement as a parade of talented track athletes has entered the NFL. Very few achieved much or lasted for long. Then again, the same can be said for most of those who enter the NFL, whatever their background.

Don't get me wrong; I wish Mr. Ginn the best of luck.

Comment

how dumb do you have to be to tackle your fleet footed team mate in that kind of jackars idiotic way.... what in the world were these buffoons thinking... my guess is that with Ginn Jr in that game OSU was worth 2 more TDs..
              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
                how dumb do you have to be to tackle your fleet footed team mate in that kind of jackars idiotic way.... what in the world were these buffoons thinking... my guess is that with Ginn Jr in that game OSU was worth 2 more TDs..
                I agree with you in theory, however, the teammate was running to congratulate Ginn & slipped/fell into the back of Ginn's legs causing the injury. It was not premeditated contact.

Comment

Really, just got to chalk it up to a freak accident. Celibratory piling ons happen all the time. No one here was being excessively stupid or injury prone.

Comment

still, my bet is TOSU (The Ohio etc) has serious anti-celebration rules in place for football next season.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
                      Quite right. Our young Ted Jr. may have a long and brilliant pro football career ahead of him.

But for years -- at least since Ray Norton -- I've watched with bemusement as a parade of talented track athletes has entered the NFL. Very few achieved much or lasted for long. Then again, the same can be said for most of those who enter the NFL, whatever their background.

Don't get me wrong; I wish Mr. Ginn the best of luck.
                      Not a fan of O$U but at this point, GInn would most likely be considered a former track athlete and has been for some time. Having just completed his junior year, I don't believe he has run track since spring 2004-senior in high school.

I'd say he has firmly established himself as a football player, at this point, and though still somewhat raw as reciever(route running still needs work) and a bit undersized at a listed 180 lbs.(probably a bit lighter in actuality) he does possess football skills so he is not really an example of a track guy with little to no football experience/skills which I think is where you were going with your "bemusement..." comment. He is of course an outstanding return man-punts and kickoffs already.

Comment

Originally posted by cladthin
                        I'd say he has firmly established himself as a football player, at this point, ...
                        As a HS senior, Ginn ran 13.40 (13.26w) and had 3 of the top 9 legal hurdle marks that year (Jason Richardson and Kevin Craddock were also competing in 2004). I put Ginn in the category of "talented track athlete" which seems correct to me, notwithstanding his football exploits.

Comment

I'd say he has firmly established himself as a football player, at this point, ...
                          As a HS senior, Ginn ran 13.40 (13.26w) and had 3 of the top 9 legal hurdle marks that year (Jason Richardson and Kevin Craddock were also competing in 2004). I put Ginn in the category of "talented track athlete" which seems correct to me, notwithstanding his football exploits.
                          I don't care whether he can play the ukulele, raise ducks and make foie gras, or paint a cubist masterpiece, he's definitely talented on the track.
                          Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mennisco
                            I don't care whether he can play the ukulele, raise ducks and make foie gras, or paint a cubist masterpiece, he's definitely talented on the track.
                            What if he could paint a duck playing a song on the ukulele called " Liver blues"
                            phsstt!

Comment

Yes, I'm fully aware of what he did as a high school track athlete, My point is that to characterize Ginn as merely a talented track athlete(though he WAS at one time) entering the nfl is not very accurate. He is a talented football player entering the nfl. Yes he was very successful in h.s. track and likely had much potential success in college and possibly beyond but this guy has played football for many years. Definitely not a guy who played a little football in high school and then then thought he'd give the nfl a shot.

This guy clearly has football skills, not just a track guy who thinks he can make it in the nfl because he has speed though it most certainly won't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                              X