• Show
Clear All

• The Lunacy That Is Bottled Water

(at the chic level)

Part One: Dasani is just tap water?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 002&sc=020

Part Two: $11 a gallon for Fiji?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

The fact is that in some areas of the country/world bottled water is a necessity, and some places not. Don't waste your money if the local water is good.

In the Bay Area, where these stories were published, many of us (most the East Bay, SF) have great local water. Others (SJ, much of Contra Costa) not so good.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
      The fact is that in some areas of the country/world bottled water is a necessity,.....
      That's why I took care to categorize my "lunacy" as existing at the chic level.

Best tap water in the country? I'd have to vote New York City, which was certainly a revelatoin to me.

Comment

I make it a point not to drink tap water anywhere other than where I grew up and where I live now. Some biologist once told me that the microscopic flora and fauna in every water system are slightly different. Perfectly good water can give you problems just because it's different from what your body is accustomed to. And so even when I'm in US cities other than my own, I generally drink bottled water.

In fact, these days, I have five-gallon bottles of spring water delivered to my house, where I have a water cooler. The local tap water is perfectly drinkable, but it often has an off taste and so Mrs. tandfman and I prefer to drink bottled water.

Obviously, in some places you have to be more careful than others. In many countries, you have to avoid drinks with ice, salad greens that have been washed with local water, etc. I've even been to places where they advised me not to brush my teeth with the tap water in the hotel room (and I'm not talking about cheap hotels, either). In spite of all cautions, it's sometimes tough to avoid problems. I remember a day or two when the turista got me at the Mexico Olympic Games. It wasn't fun, although I didn't have a bad enough case to cause me to miss any of the track.

I agree with gh's observation about NYC water. Good stuff.

Comment

I'm not sure there's a country I've been to (a modest two-score I think) where I haven't just said "damn the torpedoes." Haven't been sick yet.

Of course, a couple of years back my mother got giardia just from drinking the local tap that she had been consuming for 60 years at home.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            I'm not sure there's a country I've been to (a modest two-score I think) where I haven't just said "damn the torpedoes." Haven't been sick yet.
            If everyone took that advice, I'd say that 80% would regret it...big time...

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
              I make it a point not to drink tap water anywhere other than where I grew up and where I live now. Some biologist once told me that the microscopic flora and fauna in every water system are slightly different. Perfectly good water can give you problems just because it's different from what your body is accustomed to. And so even when I'm in US cities other than my own, I generally drink bottled water.
              What I've read about this is that tap water in the United States is invariable more pure than bottled water, because the tap water is regulated. There are limits to what can be in it. There are no regulations for bottled water.

Bottled air is next.

Comment

I can count on one hand the number of times I have bought bottled water. The last straw was the '96 Olympics when I had to pay $3.50 for a 12 oz bottle. I will put my mouth under the faucet of a public rest room :shock: :x :!: :shock: before I will pay for water again!

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                  I can count on one hand the number of times I have bought bottled water. The last straw was the '96 Olympics when I had to pay $3.50 for a 12 oz bottle. I will put my mouth under the faucet of a public rest room :shock: :x :!: :shock: before I will pay for water again!
                  That's fine in the US. Try that in MANY countries overseas and you will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                    That's fine in the US. Try that in MANY countries overseas and you will regret it.
                    I think it's safe to say I am not the globe-trotting cosmopolite YOU are!

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                      I think it's safe to say I am not the globe-trotting cosmopolite YOU are!
                      And it shows!!!! :P :P :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                        and it shows!!!! :P :P :lol:
                        oh, and this from the lady who thinks that driving the family station wagon over the line into Washington state is the Grand World Tour?

Comment

oh, and this from the lady who thinks that driving the family station wagon over the line into Washington state is the Grand World Tour?
                          Just bring your own water... %-)

Comment

Chinese Water

If gh damned the torpedoes in Beijing last summer he was lucky to get away with it.

For those planning on Beijing '08, let me suggest that you don't drink bottled water in China either. Some might as well be straight from the rest room tap and is in recycled bottles. Use the boiled water from the thermos in your hotel room and put it in a bottle you trust.

Hong Kong water is fine, however. Macau water gets a bit saline in the dry season.

Quick Silver
                            Hong Kong

Comment

hey you finally understand that Washington is the closest state to me.Now if you could just remember if it is Vancouver or Victoria that is on an island.

And NO I don't want to move to Seattle just because I can. :roll: :roll: :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X