Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World class sprinter parents

On the Bruins-Cal game the announcer said that Collison’s parents were both world class sprinters. Does anyone know the story?

from UCLA bio

<<
    Personal
    Full name: Darren Michael Collison ... right-handed ... born August 23, 1987 ... parents: June and Dennis ... Darren's parents were elite track & field athletes ... his mother June (Griffith), in 1979 was ranked No. 10 in the world in the 400m and placed second at the Pan American Games ... she represented Guyana at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles ... Her personal best time in the 400m was 51.37/1979 (indoor 52.88/1982) ... his father Dennis, a 200m runner, represented Guyana at the Pan American Games with personal-best marks of 10.1 (100m) and 20.3 (200m) ... both parents were All-Americans at Adelphi University (NY) ... one sister ... undeclared major.>>

I don't have time to look anything up at this point, but I remember his mother as being good enough that the rankings claim might be right. Don't buy--off the top of my head--the dad's supposed credentials.

Comment

I'm not home right now so I can't look all of this up, but June Griffith was indeed ranked #10 in the world by T&FN in 1979 and I remember her very well. She was a fine runner. The name Dennis Collison is vaguely familiar, now that I think about it. Definitely not as good as she was, but at least some of the claims about him may be true.

Comment

&quot;Blood&quot; doping

This sort of genetic selection is probably as effective as the sorts of PEDs that people still manage to use. It seems silly to ban chemical drugs while there are no controls on selective breeding.

Quick Silver
        Hong Kong

Comment

At Uof Florida indoor meet Sat, the offspring of Calvin Smith and Antonio McKay both competed in the 400.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
            At Uof Florida indoor meet Sat, the offspring of Calvin Smith and Antonio McKay both competed in the 400.
            I don't Calvin and Antonio had hooked up? And bred? Is that legal down Florida way? And biologically possible?

Comment

Working...
            X