Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP: Eddie Feigner

Probably too obscure a name for most, but one of the greatest athletes I ever saw (you may have seen him on Wide World Of Sports).

Did you ever see him?

I must confess that I had never heard of him. I had to Google him just now to learn what sport he did.

Comment

I saw him pitch in high school against a bunch of local all-star softball players, nobody touched him. He was amazing with what he could do with a softball.

Comment

Yeah, my local team when I was a kid went to the World Series of softball and I think they got one hit off him. Struck guys out from second base, struck guys out blindfolded (him, not them!).

The legend that I heard in college was that at one point there was a pretty good softball league in Texas, and he shows up as a teenager and just starts eating everybody alive. Could pitch virtually every game and every game close to a no-hitter. So the league finally banned him, because whatever team he was on would go undefeated. Probably somewhat apocryphal, but that was the tale.

Comment

I think he and his group played in Eureka once. I didn't attend, but I assume the K and his court won.

Comment

I've only seen him on T.V. but like the " Washington Generals" or the "New York Nationals" the other guys must have been pretty good,afterall they had to hit against the best windmillers around.
            there was a knockoff team here in the Northeast in the 70s that had a guy that was pretty good with the trick pitches but guys could get the bat on his ball.As I remember most guys went down with a swing and a miss on The King.
            Tom Hyland:
            "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Eddie Feigner was the only non-military type I saw with a buzz cut during the long hair days of the late 60s. He could really chuck the old pill and bring the cheese.

cman

Comment

Saw him play at Gaelic Park in New York way back when against a team that included a guy I used to work with--he was as good as advertised..

Comment

When he was bringing the 100mph Windmill Heat, was he standing 60' away??!! :shock: That would give batters about -.002 seconds to see the pitch before they heard it hit the catcher's mitt!

Comment

They should be so lucky! Men's mound is 46ft in softball.

Comment

Re: RIP: Eddie Feigner

Originally posted by gh
                      Probably too obscure a name for most, but one of the greatest athletes I ever saw (you may have seen him on Wide World Of Sports).

Did you ever see him?
                      Off topic but what ever happened to the guy who epitomized the agony of defeat?

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                        After he fell off that ski-jump ramp, Michael Dukakis didn't ever amount to much else . . .

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                          Originally posted by gh

Did you ever see him?
                          google Vinko Bogataj

Comment

NYTimes.com obit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/13/sport ... ref=slogin

Comment

McCovey says he got a hit off Feigner

<<Reports of Feigner's death, in Huntsville, Ala., on Feb. 9, mentioned that during a 1967 exhibition, he struck out Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Brooks Robinson, Maury Wills, Harmon Killebrew and Roberto Clemente in succession.....>>

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

Comment

Working...
                              X