Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You, A Desert Island & One Director

(and your solar-powered DVD player of course)

Note that I didn't say favorite director, as there might be a difference, as you will see from the parameters.

In this one, you're stuck on the proverbial desert island and you are lucky enough to have rescued 5 (five only) movies that you have to watch for the an extended number of months. The bad news, relatively speaking, is that all of them were made by the same director. So which director is it?

Here's my 5 Stanley Kubricks (in a close decision over Akira Kurosawa, whose oeuvre is too complex to choose from), in alpha order

A Clockwork Orange

Dr. Strangelove

Full Metal Jacket

The Shining

Too hard, too hard! Ridley Scott, Scorsese, Kramer, Kubrick, Hawks, Capra, Huston, Cameron, Lucas, John Ford . . .

Chrisopher Nolan!! (dang, only 3 masterpieces so far)

Hitchcock!!

Surely Francis Coppolla with the Godfathers and Apocalypse!!

doh . . . gotta go with the most obvious one of all - Spielberg!

The three Indy Joneses, Jurassic Park and Close Encounters.

Comment

Re: You, A Desert Island & One Director

Originally posted by gh
      Here's my 5 Stanley Kubricks (in a close decision over Akira Kurosawa, whose oeuvre is too complex to choose from)
      I think the complexity might make things more endurabable if you had to see the same five movies repeatedly. My choice might be Ingmar Bergman:

The Seventh Seal
      Wild Strawberries
      The Virgin Spring
      Through a Glass Darkly
      Cries and Whispers

Perhaps, if I stayed on that desert island long enough, I might begin to grasp all of the complexities in those movies.

My answer would be quite different if you told me I'd be on the desert island for only a week or so. But I think the conventional premise of desert island questions is that you're really stuck there.

Kubrick is a good choice. His movies tend to be on the long side, but they're entertaining, and they have lots of subtleties.

Comment

Quentin Tarantino.

I’d watch Pulp Fiction over and over, throw on Reservoir Dogs once in a while for variety, and use the two Kill Bills and Jackie Brown DVD’s to create some kind of reflecting gizmo to signal for rescuers.

Comment

I would pick George Stevens because of the variety.

Shane
          Giant
          Swing Time
          Woman Of The Year
          Talk Of The Town
          or Gunga Din or A Place In The Sun

cman

Comment

It's had to improve on Garry's Kubrick 5 although I would have replaced " Full Metal Jacket" with" Paths of Glory".

But I can't really bypass Bergman. I like Tandfman's 5. My 5 would have to include "Scenes from a Marriage"

Comment

Man this is tough one. There are 5 or 6 directors who i can think of who deserve consideration. Hitch and Stanley ? Speilberg's movies are very user friendly and might hold up to repeat viewing alone on an island, so..

Jaws- hilarious
              Saving Private Ryan- devastating
              1st and 2nd- Indiana Jones- great fun
              Close Encounters- beautiful
              phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                Speilberg's movies
                Two gargantuan minds that think as one!!! The Squacknut/Tafee :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                  Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                  Speilberg's movies
                  Two gargantuan minds that think as one!!! The Squacknut/Tafee :lol:
                  SQUACKATAKAFUTNEE
                  Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Working...
                  X