Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite National Anthems

To be honest, I really don't like God Save The Queen but I much prefer Land of Hope and Glory.

I love the Russian anthem, especially when they had a choir singing it at the Europeans.

The Italian one is great fun plus I love the East German one and the Moroccan one.
    http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Ours (US) kinda sucks. Probably should be America the Beautiful.

Comment

I don't like yours and I can't stand the Australian one. I was getting so tired of it during the Commonwealths last year!
      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

I love my own national anthem, and am happy to say so. It played three times during the EC:s. Second on my list to the Swedish national anthem is the Russian one followed by third-place Germany. USA is in the top-10, but not in the top-5.

Comment

in no order....

japan...

kenya..

france...

germany...

italy....

Comment

I'm with StinkiHam - no on SSB; yes on America the Beautiful. I have always liked Germany's, despite its Nazi overtones. You can sing it very lustily!

Comment

leaving the stadium in edmonton, there was a german family in front of me, ma, pa, a few kids in the 8 to 12 range...

i toned the the first few words to the OLD german them...

deutscland, deutscland, uber alles...

well, the kids burst out lauging, ma and pa, gave me the dirtiest look imaginable...

Comment

Nothing beats La Marseillaise!!!

All-time worst is Bulgaria. Back when we actually used to hear it "frequently" we used to debate over the words, which based on the tune, must start like this

"The Cossacks just burned my farm, raped my wife, kidnapped my children and killed all my livestock..... And that's the good news...."

Comment

I like the SSB and wouldn't like to see it dropped. The Russian anthem is stirring.

Comment

[quote="gh"]Nothing beats La Marseillaise!!!

I'm with Garry. Just watch "Casablanca" .

Comment

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned O Canada. I actually like it. At least as much as La Marseillaise, but not as much as the Russian anthem. I agree, America the Beautiful would be a much better National Anthem for us than the SSB.

Comment

I am as patriotic as they come but find O Canada a tad boring.I get very few opportunities to sing it though so when I do I like to sing along much to the chagrin of those around me! :? Had to sing God save the Queen every day in elementary school (yes here in Canada) and think it is a very boring song indeed.
                        I like the music to the Russian and the flourish at the end of the Italian song .
                        Don't get to enough international events to hear all the anthems. Must change that!

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                          I'm surprised nobody has mentioned O Canada. I actually like it. At least as much as La Marseillaise, but not as much as the Russian anthem. I agree, America the Beautiful would be a much better National Anthem for us than the SSB.

I like all of these.

The only trouble I have with The Star-Spangled Banner is that the entire song is a question. Not exactly a show of strength to have a tune being interrogative rather than declarative.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
                            The only trouble I have with The Star-Spangled Banner is that the entire song is a question.
                            The Star Spangled Banner has four stanzas. By the end of the second stanza, the question asked in the first stanza is answered.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/song-lyric ... nner.shtml

Comment

I heard Brazil's in LA '84 for the mens 800m- it was great! Do they play national anthems at Futbol World Cup matches?

Comment

Working...
                              X