Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 10 most valued.....

..possesions that I can fit in a suitcase....(pictures of love ones won't count, or those types of things)

Jim Brown, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice rookie cards.

1969 Gale Sayers

Robert Johnson Complete Recordings (they were until a lost second take of Traveling Riverside Blues was found)

Townes Van Zandt ..a CD of his very first recordings that had been lost for years. Obviously they found them.

David Allan Coe...his very first recordings shortly after his prison release.

The Lurking Fear...a first edition H.P.Lovecraft in mint condition, as are all the cards mentioned. There is a soft corner on my Brown card.

A MVP trophy from 1984 when I was a player in the city flag football league.

A record ...James Brown At The Apollo.

Ok since it's my thread I can cheat. The 12 books that make up Robert E. Howards Conan saga. Key words....Robert E.Howard. Reason being that a lot of other authors have tried to cash in on "Conan" by coming up with books of their own. If it wasn't written by REH, it's not legit. Now before some of you try to make light of the Conan stories....don't! That's coming from a guy who has read all those classics and has a 10,000 books strong library. When it comes to heroic fiction, Howard was simply "da man." Great reads! Oh yeah ...my grandparents owned a used book store. When they died.....

My Jim Brown rookie card story....

I was going to some movie at the Fox Theater in Visalia. A few shops down was a coin shop. As I walked by I stopped to check out the old coins in the window. The owner also had some old football cards from the 50's. There he was....Jim Brown. I was into cards and knew that was his rookie card. I'd never seen one up close and personal before. I knew I had to have it.

Larry...excuse me but can I see one of your cards in the window?
    owner....sure! (I pointed to Brown)
    Larry...hmmmmm....a little soft on t....how much?
    owner...hmmm....175?
    Larry...how about 125?
    owner...150!!!!!
    Larry....hmmmmm....ok....cool! I have 50 on me can I give ya that until I come up with the rest?
    owner...ok, that'll work
    Larry...cool

That happened about 20 years ago. I'm guessing that card even with a soft corner would probably go for around 300 or so. As ya probably know football cards aren't even close to baseball when it comes to value. Not that I would ever sell it because I wouldn't.

That happened about 20 years ago. I'm guessing that card even with a soft corner would probably go for around 300 or so.
    An increase from $150 to $300 in value in 20 years is a compound growth rate of 3.53%p.a. That's struggling to outpace inflation. I'm glad you treasure it on sentimental grounds, as it wasn't a great investment...

Comment

Re: My 10 most valued.....

Originally posted by Texas
      Robert Johnson Complete Recordings (they were until a lost second take of Traveling Riverside Blues was found)

Ok since it's my thread I can cheat. The 12 books that make up Robert E. Howards Conan saga. Key words....Robert E.Howard. Reason being that a lot of other authors have tried to cash in on "Conan" by coming up with books of their own. If it wasn't written by REH, it's not legit. Now before some of you try to make light of the Conan stories....don't! That's coming from a guy who has read all those classics and has a 10,000 books strong library. When it comes to heroic fiction, Howard was simply "da man." Great reads! Oh yeah ...my grandparents owned a used book store. When they died.....
      I assume that the Robert John recordings you mention are the "Complete Recordings" box put out by Columbia. Right? Is the other take available? Or will there be a new box?

On Conan. True, the Conan series had a break after Robert Howard committed suicide, but Tor fairly quickly pressed another of their authors, L Sprague deCamp into continuing the series. I read all of the series (all that were available in the libraries to which I had access), not really noticing/caring that there was a change in authorship. deCamp seemed to maintain the two basic canons of the stories:

1. Being a good person bought you absolutly nothing.
      2. The only survivor of any story was Conan.

After deCamp died (natural causes, I think), Tor again reassigned authorship, this time to Robert Jordan (who currently has a serial saga "Wheel of Time"). I was pretty much out of science fiction/fantasy by the time Jordan took over, so I never read any of his renditions.

Comment

Working...
      X