Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sick sick sick

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MJD
    replied
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_Flies

    Leave a comment:


  • no one
    replied
    I believe there is a point in which one can (and does) 'give in to the dark side', not with standing with that 'moral compass' diminishing simultaneously, in the process- in the extreme cases its buried (not eliminated). Prison fosters that. Of course that is the extreme even though there are those who are not incarcerated physically. Well, movin on -

    The majority do - even the morally lost - just hard to find in some

    Leave a comment:


  • Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    Originally posted by Pego
    I still maintain that the majority of human beings have a moral compass, precluding such savagery.
    I'm wid ya in spirit, Pego, but the truth of the matter is that the millions and millions slaughtered by Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, Amin, etc., were not actually killed by those men. They had thousands, if not tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of 'accomplices'.

    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

    Allowing it to happen is utter savagery also.
    No argument here .

    Leave a comment:


  • tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    I still maintain that the majority of human beings have a moral compass, precluding such savagery.
    I'm wid ya in spirit, Pego, but the truth of the matter is that the millions and millions slaughtered by Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, Amin, etc., were not actually killed by those men. They had thousands, if not tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of 'accomplices'.

    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

    Allowing it to happen is utter savagery also.

    Leave a comment:


  • SQUACKEE
    replied
    Humans are capable of more evil and more actually damage to the earth. Maybe animals are more brutal but not as evil. Or im talking out of my ass.

    Leave a comment:


  • no one
    replied
    sad sad - I do some consulting at the State Prison with the sex offender population - who are often not 'just' pedophiles (rapist murderers etc.). Some of the things they have done would make this look tame or at least equally disturbing. Not for the faint of heart ... ugh

    Leave a comment:


  • SQUACKEE
    replied
    You know why the Black Widow spider is named as such? Not very nice.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    Originally posted by MJD
    The human animal is capable by far of being the most savage.
    That's what tafnut MEANT to say.
    In spite of the qualifier, I feel like picking a fight here :twisted: .
    I still maintain that the majority of human beings have a moral compass, precluding such savagery. There are many species that don't. Weasels (especially the wolverines) kill for no reason, cannibalism, even of their own young is true for many species. I don't think, tafnut or MJD would do it, even when it's most tempting .

    Leave a comment:


  • SQUACKEE
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Didnt mean to imply you could not have a big impact on your students. I just think the fact that mommy and daddy have em for the first 5-6 years is really big stuff.
    Indeed it is, and it takes all my prodigious brain-washing abilities to fix 'em! :wink:
    :lol: Good luck to you sir!

    Leave a comment:


  • tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Didnt mean to imply you could not have a big impact on your students. I just think the fact that mommy and daddy have em for the first 5-6 years is really big stuff.
    Indeed it is, and it takes all my prodigious brain-washing abilities to fix 'em! :wink:

    Leave a comment:


  • SQUACKEE
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by tafnut
    I tell my students that that are fundamentally no different than a weed that grows in a vacant lot (unless they do something to bring joy to others before themselves, and in that case they are immortal)
    Are you trying to tell us that you whisper that last part?
    Funny you should ask. My English classroom is actually in our Gym building, off by itself, so sometimes I get very loudly histrionic for effect. But when we talk about this kind of existentialism, which actually does come up a lot (Shakespeare was VERY proto-existentialist!), we talk very quietly, to empahasize the seriousness of its import.

    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Too late teach. All your students have been treated and worshiped as little cult figures by their overly loving parents long before you get your chance to tell them they're just a bunch of unwanted plants. :P
    I am constantly amazed (and a little scared) by how often parents come to me and tell me how influential I am/was (meaning their teachers in general) in their children's lives. My seniors do a Philosophy Project in the spring (which cures senioritis, cuz they really like delving into that kind of stuff), and they always come back from college to tell me how much it affected their thinking from then on.
    Didnt mean to imply you could not have a big impact on your students. I just think the fact that mommy and daddy have em for the first 5-6 years is really big stuff.

    Leave a comment:


  • tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by MJD
    The human animal is capable by far of being the most savage.
    That's what tafnut MEANT to say.

    Leave a comment:


  • MJD
    replied
    Originally posted by pego
    Originally posted by tafnut
    The human animal is by far the most savage.
    I respectfully disagree. If you say "some humans", you have a point. The vast majority of us are pretty decent.
    The human animal is capable by far of being the most savage.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    Originally posted by guru
    Try this.
    A humane society veterinarian who performed an autopsy on the dog concluded he was boiled alive either in water or oil and then skinned,
    The human animal is by far the most savage.
    I respectfully disagree. If you say "some humans", you have a point. The vast majority of us are pretty decent.

    Leave a comment:


  • tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by tafnut
    I tell my students that that are fundamentally no different than a weed that grows in a vacant lot (unless they do something to bring joy to others before themselves, and in that case they are immortal)
    Are you trying to tell us that you whisper that last part?
    Funny you should ask. My English classroom is actually in our Gym building, off by itself, so sometimes I get very loudly histrionic for effect. But when we talk about this kind of existentialism, which actually does come up a lot (Shakespeare was VERY proto-existentialist!), we talk very quietly, to empahasize the seriousness of its import.

    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Too late teach. All your students have been treated and worshiped as little cult figures by their overly loving parents long before you get your chance to tell them they're just a bunch of unwanted plants. :P
    I am constantly amazed (and a little scared) by how often parents come to me and tell me how influential I am/was (meaning their teachers in general) in their children's lives. My seniors do a Philosophy Project in the spring (which cures senioritis, cuz they really like delving into that kind of stuff), and they always come back from college to tell me how much it affected their thinking from then on.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X