Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastering Swedish: Lesson One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnmMvNlRQA4

Everything I need to know about Swedish, I got from The Muppet Show in the 70s.

"Ya, bork, bork"

Comment

Funny!

Comment

Sheesh.. is the language really that unintelligible? I could not recognize one word equivalent.

Comment

Unintelligible? No. We have a very difficult, but beautiful language.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
            Unintelligible? No. We have a very difficult, but beautiful language.
            I am sure it is a beautiful language and I am not a linguist but usually I can pick out a word equivalent here and there.
            I envy your multi-lingual talents and I think I have previously commented on your excellent English.
            In your opinion, is it a more difficult language to learn than the Germanic and Romance languages? Is it easier for a Swede to learn English than for an English speaker to learn Swedish? Do the Nordic languages have certain commonalities that facilitate learning more than one?

Comment

Learning Norwegian and Danish are not difficult, nor is learning German. We study english from a very young age, and very many of us are educated outside of the Kingdom of Sweden, as was I for the four years which equal high school and five years of university studies. In and of itself, that (ESL from childhood) makes it easier from our end with english than it will make it for an english-speaker to learn Swedish.

Some have it very easy with Romance languages -- I:m not one of them :wink:

Danish is to Norwegian in vocabulary as Norwegian is to Swedish in phonology. We understand spoken Norwegian (as do they, us), but grasp little-to-no spoken Danish. Much of Norway:s largest metropolitan areas are near Sweden:s borders to some extent.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                Everything I need to know about Swedish, I got from The Muppet Show in the 70s.

"Ya, bork, bork"
                If you're bored you can change the language that google displays it's tips and messages to Bork Bork Bork. Just click on the Preferences on the right of the search page. Other fun options are Elmer Fudd and Pig Latin.

Comment

Working...
                X