Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTTER YANK DOMINATION DOWN UNDER!!

Has any team from any nation ever dominated a World Swimming Championships like the USA is dominating this one?!?!?

Not as far as I can tell and I just looked up some medal counts from 2001, 2003, 2003 WCs and none of them came close to matching the 17 golds, 12 silver and 32 total medals so far and we still have Day 8 tomorrow, with additional medals likely for America, perhaps gold!! I think I read something about 10 world records so far just by Americans!!

And its not just Phelps, altho his 3 WRs and 6 golds are leading the way...dont forget Lochte, Coughlin, Hoelzler, Piersol, Crocker, Ziegler, Hoff and the rest!! Those Aussies really know how to make state-of-the-art swimming pools!!!

Have to say things are looking really good for Beijing 2008---at least in the pool...

The pool was built in Europe for what it's worth...

Comment

Originally posted by midnightsun
      Big ups to the Euros, then!! Any idea which country?

3 more golds, plus a silver and bronze on day 8 for Yanks---final tally=20 gold, 13 silver, 3 bronze---total of 36!!

Has there ever been this kind of domination of ANY SPORT with this many nations competing and only 2 competitors allowed per country?!?

Comment

Not sure, but it was shipped to Melbourne from Barcelona and from what I've heard it was built in a similar way to that of the 2003's WCh's

Comment

OK, I pay no attention to swimming and am therefore totally ignorant on the subject. It caught me by surprise that pools were not just built where they are installed. I guess just diggin a hole, lining it with concrete and painting some stripes on the bottom was too simple!

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
            OK, I pay no attention to swimming and am therefore totally ignorant on the subject. It caught me by surprise that pools were not just built where they are installed. I guess just diggin a hole, lining it with concrete and painting some stripes on the bottom was too simple!
            Pretty massive shipping job, I imagine!!

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
              The set-up is temporary in Melbourne. The pool was deposited in the arena where they play the Australian Open Tennis. This is despite there being a fully-functioning swim centre in Melbourne that was used for last year's Commonwealth Games. The argument was that the World Champs would pull in bigger crowds. They didn't. Most nights it was only half full (the stands at the arena, not the poll).

Comment

There are a lot of areas in which the USA swim team can improve between now and Beijing. The men's 400IM relay team could avoid disqualification. Team members who just finished their college season would do better with a little more rest. Cullen Jones and Wildman-Tobriner have unrealized potential in the 100 meter FS. Vanderkaay could have swum better in the 400m FS. Hansen could avoid getting a virus before his best event. I think Jessica Hardy has gold medal potential in the 100 breaststroke even with Liesel Jones in the way. Lochte is on a big up-curve. It would probably help to pick the team closer to the world meet (it's tough to do this when the meet is held down under). Leila Vaziri coud become a factor in the 100m backstroke. And this Phelps guy could clean up his breaststroke a bit.
                Of course things will go wrong next time that didn't this time--there is always something--but maybe some of the above will happen and outweigh them. Meanwhile, I am looking forward to Phelps' next swim in the 400m freestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
                  There are a lot of areas in which the USA swim team can improve between now and Beijing. The men's 400IM relay team could avoid disqualification. Team members who just finished their college season would do better with a little more rest. Cullen Jones and Wildman-Tobriner have unrealized potential in the 100 meter FS. Vanderkaay could have swum better in the 400m FS. Hansen could avoid getting a virus before his best event. I think Jessica Hardy has gold medal potential in the 100 breaststroke even with Liesel Jones in the way. Lochte is on a big up-curve. It would probably help to pick the team closer to the world meet (it's tough to do this when the meet is held down under). Leila Vaziri coud become a factor in the 100m backstroke. And this Phelps guy could clean up his breaststroke a bit.
                  Of course things will go wrong next time that didn't this time--there is always something--but maybe some of the above will happen and outweigh them. Meanwhile, I am looking forward to Phelps' next swim in the 400m freestyle.
                  bring it on!! i'd love to see 40 medals with 22 golds and 18 world records by yanks!! would also like to see phelps get the WR in the 400!!

Comment

I understand drilling rigs and refinerys being built in one country and shipped to another but I too am surprised to learn that Olympic size swimming pools can be shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                      I understand drilling rigs and refinerys being built in one country and shipped to another but I too am surprised to learn that Olympic size swimming pools can be shipped.
                      all about globalism, dude!!

Comment

Originally posted by CrunchTime
                        bring it on!! i'd love to see 40 medals with 22 golds and 18 world records by yanks!! would also like to see phelps get the WR in the 400!!
                        Well, first of all there are only 32 swimming events in the OG as opposed to 40 in the WCh. And, while the US no doubt is the no. 1 swimming country by far, I expect their dominance to be a bit weaker next year - the Chinese will probably win a few events and the Europeans will likely be stronger (the Euro champs were in August, and many teams didn't manage to re-peak for the World's).
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                        X