Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs in the computer/technology field?

I know so little about this field I don't even know the correct terminology to use!

My eldest daughter is very bright (honestly- she went through a gifted children's prgram in elementary and high school) and is very creative and artistic-takes after her father. 8)

She is currently a vet tech but this is not something she plans to do for her" real" career. I saw a story on the news about a computer job fair in Vancouver and they said there are more jobs that people to fill them. The Vancouver Film School offers a program to learn about computer gaming design and it is suppose to be very good -pricey but very good. (26,000CDN)

Sorry for that being longwinded...anyone have any experience in the field, advice or suggestions? She is seriously interested in the whole idea but is just at the research stage.

What other job options are there in the technology/computer field which require creativity and artistic talent?

(I am milking the font of intelligence and experience here today for all I can!) ops: ops:

I know nothing at all about this, but I do vaguely recall reading an article recently, the gist of which is that this field (gaming design) employs huge numbers of people but most of them are overworked and underpaid and don't have great career paths within the industry. I'd be very cautious about investing that much money in this without learning more.

That having been said, I'm sure that like everything else having to do with computers, there are at least a few people getting rich at it.

Comment

That is helpful- the kind of stuff we need to hear about.I'd love to read the article but I imagine you don't remember where you read it.
      I'd love to hear about other lines of work in the computer field that allow for some creativity. What kind of education you need etc.

I keep telling my daughters to marry rich. :twisted:

But SQUACKEE is taken.

Comment

I'm not confident that the tech field is the best one to look in on at this point. For quite some time there has been a huge push to move as much tech work as possible offshore to India and Asia. While there are always tech jobs that have to be done locally, lots of great tech people have lost their jobs to this offshore move and are competing for the jobs that cannot be moved. I'm quite fortunate with the security of the tech job I have - I would not want to be out in the market at this point looking for a new job.

That said, there are still lots of great, challenging, well-paying tech jobs around, but the competition for those jobs is quite high.

Comment

The story I saw on the news said that there were more jobs than people. They interviewed employers looking for people and vice versa. The employers said anyone willing to sign up at the fair would get a 3,000.00 bonus. the prospective employees said that didn't impress enough t make them sign up as they were inundated with offers. Who knows?

Comment

Take my advice with a grain or two of salt - I have not been on the job market for 20 years.

Comment

Aren't you the bad hamminator??

He who knows all. :x

Comment

I know what I know . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                  I know what I know . . .
                  No wonder we fight so much - we're polar opposites - I don't know what I don't know!

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                    I don't know what I don't know!
                    That explains a lot - one classic definition of wisdom is to know what it is that you do not know. :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                      The story I saw on the news said that there were more jobs than people. They interviewed employers looking for people and vice versa. The employers said anyone willing to sign up at the fair would get a 3,000.00 bonus. the prospective employees said that didn't impress enough t make them sign up as they were inundated with offers. Who knows?
                      I saw the same news piece. It was deceptive in that they didn't mention that employers are looking for prospects with a fair bit of experience and training. The prospective employees had more of a computer science background rather than an art background.

EA (Electronic Arts in Burnaby) also had their own job fair last week and were also more interested in computer science grads with a Masters degree.

As far as the computer/commercial arts goes...it's like being an elite athlete. A lot of talented athletes fall by the wayside but a small percentage make it. BTW, I was kicked out of one university and two art schools but managed to work in the biz for 25 years. If I had to do it over again...I would have done it the way your better half did it...coach sports and paint on the side. Better yet...I would have taken your advice and married someone rich. :P

cman

Comment

Thanks for the response cman. I didn't get all the details on the story but I think you are right.
                        I doubt my daughter wants to go into computer science.
                        These programs(computer gaming) cost $26-30,000.00 and so can not be entered into lightly.

Sigh.

And to clarify with the DH- art comes first and the coaching is on the side!

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                          And to clarify with the DH- art comes first and the coaching is on the side!
                          Even better!

cman

PS: I sent you a PM with a few more gory details.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                            Originally posted by tafnut
                            I don't know what I don't know!
                            That explains a lot - one classic definition of wisdom is to know what it is that you do not know. :twisted:
                            "(This) knowledge (that is wisdom) is not always a matter of becoming smart and intelligent; it could be the discovery of one’s foolishness and ignorance."

http://www.boundlesswayzen.org/teishos/ ... eisho.html

Now please do NOT laugh at me! It will hurt my feelings. :lol:
                            Take good care of yourself.

Comment

With da computer business goin over seas im so glad my son decided not to waste his time goin to college and majoring in comp. tech. :roll:
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X