Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work for a large consulting firm that does basically a little of everything. We have a very hard time finding application developers and engineers (all flavors).

We have an office in Hyderabad, India and end up sending them a lot of the work we'd rather do here because they have more high quality applicants than they can shake a stick at. Our office manager there said that the universities in just the city of Hyderabad graduate more engineers in a semester than all US universities combined do in a year. I used to think work was offshored mainly because of price, but now that I'm one of those doing the offshoring, I see it's more because that's where the expertise is located.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
      I used to think work was offshored mainly because of price, but now that I'm one of those doing the offshoring, I see it's more because that's where the expertise is located.
      And the fact that they are less expensive makes it a win/win for US businesses.

For about the last five years the vendor for the products that I work with has moved most of their telephone support to India. My experiences working with these support technicians is that they are every bit as capable as the state-side folks were. The big drawback from my perspective is the language barrier. There are some calls where I never know for sure if the technician understands me, and I know positively that I do not understand the technician. But this is happening less and less as time goes on.

Comment

Working...
      X