X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooter Brown
    I used to think work was offshored mainly because of price, but now that I'm one of those doing the offshoring, I see it's more because that's where the expertise is located.
    And the fact that they are less expensive makes it a win/win for US businesses.

For about the last five years the vendor for the products that I work with has moved most of their telephone support to India. My experiences working with these support technicians is that they are every bit as capable as the state-side folks were. The big drawback from my perspective is the language barrier. There are some calls where I never know for sure if the technician understands me, and I know positively that I do not understand the technician. But this is happening less and less as time goes on.

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    I work for a large consulting firm that does basically a little of everything. We have a very hard time finding application developers and engineers (all flavors).

We have an office in Hyderabad, India and end up sending them a lot of the work we'd rather do here because they have more high quality applicants than they can shake a stick at. Our office manager there said that the universities in just the city of Hyderabad graduate more engineers in a semester than all US universities combined do in a year. I used to think work was offshored mainly because of price, but now that I'm one of those doing the offshoring, I see it's more because that's where the expertise is located.

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    With da computer business goin over seas im so glad my son decided not to waste his time goin to college and majoring in comp. tech. :roll:

Leave a comment:

• Mennisco
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Originally posted by tafnut
    I don't know what I don't know!
    That explains a lot - one classic definition of wisdom is to know what it is that you do not know. :twisted:
    "(This) knowledge (that is wisdom) is not always a matter of becoming smart and intelligent; it could be the discovery of one’s foolishness and ignorance."

http://www.boundlesswayzen.org/teishos/ ... eisho.html

Now please do NOT laugh at me! It will hurt my feelings. :lol:

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    Originally posted by mojo
    And to clarify with the DH- art comes first and the coaching is on the side!
    Even better!

cman

PS: I sent you a PM with a few more gory details.

Leave a comment:

• mojo
    replied
    Thanks for the response cman. I didn't get all the details on the story but I think you are right.
    I doubt my daughter wants to go into computer science.
    These programs(computer gaming) cost $26-30,000.00 and so can not be entered into lightly.

Sigh.

And to clarify with the DH- art comes first and the coaching is on the side!

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    Originally posted by mojo
    The story I saw on the news said that there were more jobs than people. They interviewed employers looking for people and vice versa. The employers said anyone willing to sign up at the fair would get a 3,000.00 bonus. the prospective employees said that didn't impress enough t make them sign up as they were inundated with offers. Who knows?
    I saw the same news piece. It was deceptive in that they didn't mention that employers are looking for prospects with a fair bit of experience and training. The prospective employees had more of a computer science background rather than an art background.

EA (Electronic Arts in Burnaby) also had their own job fair last week and were also more interested in computer science grads with a Masters degree.

As far as the computer/commercial arts goes...it's like being an elite athlete. A lot of talented athletes fall by the wayside but a small percentage make it. BTW, I was kicked out of one university and two art schools but managed to work in the biz for 25 years. If I had to do it over again...I would have done it the way your better half did it...coach sports and paint on the side. Better yet...I would have taken your advice and married someone rich. :P

cman

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    I don't know what I don't know!
    That explains a lot - one classic definition of wisdom is to know what it is that you do not know. :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    I know what I know . . .
    No wonder we fight so much - we're polar opposites - I don't know what I don't know!

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    I know what I know . . .

Leave a comment:

• mojo
    replied
    Aren't you the bad hamminator??

He who knows all. :x

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Take my advice with a grain or two of salt - I have not been on the job market for 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• mojo
    replied
    The story I saw on the news said that there were more jobs than people. They interviewed employers looking for people and vice versa. The employers said anyone willing to sign up at the fair would get a 3,000.00 bonus. the prospective employees said that didn't impress enough t make them sign up as they were inundated with offers. Who knows?

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    I'm not confident that the tech field is the best one to look in on at this point. For quite some time there has been a huge push to move as much tech work as possible offshore to India and Asia. While there are always tech jobs that have to be done locally, lots of great tech people have lost their jobs to this offshore move and are competing for the jobs that cannot be moved. I'm quite fortunate with the security of the tech job I have - I would not want to be out in the market at this point looking for a new job.

That said, there are still lots of great, challenging, well-paying tech jobs around, but the competition for those jobs is quite high.

Leave a comment:

• mojo
    replied
    That is helpful- the kind of stuff we need to hear about.I'd love to read the article but I imagine you don't remember where you read it.
    I'd love to hear about other lines of work in the computer field that allow for some creativity. What kind of education you need etc.

I keep telling my daughters to marry rich. :twisted:

But SQUACKEE is taken.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X