• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descent Into Madness

Stunning.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/
    There are no strings on me

The aftermath of this MUST (sadly) be some kind of program to either institutionalize or at least 'track' severely psychotic people like this, whom everyone 'knows' is disturbed, but no one is willing to do anything about it, because of 'constitutional rights' issues. I'm a big fan of individual rights, but at some point there is going too HAVE to be authoritative intervention in the lives of people like him, but where do we draw the line between eccentric nutjobs and true psychopaths?

Comment

What can you say? and what can you say that won't get a ball rolling that's only gonna be vaporized by the mods anyway? The topic, I believe, is off limits.
      Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mennisco
        What can you say? and what can you say that won't get a ball rolling that's only gonna be vaporized by the mods anyway? The topic, I believe, is off limits.
        Not at all... stupid posturing is, however.

Comment

I assume everyone heard about this hero:

"He shouted to his students to flee then when Cho forced open the door, he threw himself in front of him and was gunned down."

http://tinyurl.com/3557qu

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            How does one stupidly posture in a case like this? The problem as I see it is the 'overreaction' backlash. What can we rationally do that the ACLU (whom I usually appreciate) won't say is an infringement of civil liberties? "Just because I'm a whackjob, doesn't mean you can suspend my rights!"

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
              Originally posted by gh
              How does one stupidly posture in a case like this? The problem as I see it is the 'overreaction' backlash. What can we rationally do that the ACLU (whom I usually appreciate) won't say is an infringement of civil liberties? "Just because I'm a whackjob, doesn't mean you can suspend my rights!"
              I think gh meant the gun issue.
              There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                I think gh meant the gun issue.
                Oh. In that case the picture presented above is Gun Posturing Exhibit A.

edit - picture deleted on mojo's request

Comment

Might be interesting to list the things which require a psychiatric or psychological evaluation, since no such thing is required for Jo Nutcase to get a gun. In Canada, anyway, I'm pretty sure a woman cannot donate her eggs without first undergoing a psychological examination - same thing for people requesting sexual reassignment surgery. It's an odd world we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    We'll see how long this thread lasts before that happens.

Comment

Hey guys- do you really need to post the actual photos (TAF!!!). You may not intend to but in a way you are glorifying the guy by doing that.

I just don't want to see the photos of a very sick and deranged person here- unless it is Fred Flintstone.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                        Hey guys- do you really need to post the actual photos (TAF!!!). You may not intend to but in a way you are glorifying the guy by doing that.

I just don't want to see the photos of a very sick and deranged person here- unless it is Fred Flintstone.
                        Funny you'd say that Mojo - I just spent 90 minutes pumping iron and kept swatting that image out of my mind. At times like this, I tend to take a media holiday until the story has been buried.

Comment

There will be another. I say we prepare in every way possible.
                          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                            There will be another. I say we prepare in every way possible.
                            Don't know how many of us Canada & NZ are gonna allow in...

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                              Hey guys- do you really need to post the actual photos (TAF!!!). You may not intend to but in a way you are glorifying the guy by doing that. I just don't want to see the photos of a very sick and deranged person here- unless it is Fred Flintstone.
                              I'd have to respond - 'Lest We Forget'.

I have had long discussions with my students on this subject: If we recognize the darkness in ourselves and others, there may be some chance we can prevent its manifestation. If we live in denial or say, 'oh no, that could never happen here', or 'I would never let that happen' THEN and only then CAN it and WILL it happen. The citizenry of Nazi Germany, including MOST of the Nazis who committed the atrocities were just people like you and us and our neighbors, put into extraordinarily evil situations, which they could not recognize until it was over.

"I didn't think it was that big a deal."
                              "I was just doing what everyone else was doing"
                              "I had no idea what was going on."
                              "I was just following orders."
                              "Only 'bad guys' do bad things."

I think it's important for me and my students to face the evil toe-to-toe (abstractly of course). We've discussed this incident a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X