Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Cause men are inherently evil. :wink:

I think the primary culprit in the reason that events such as Columbine, V Tech, and similar are more frequently in the public eye are that we are now inundated with numerous 24-hour news outlets. In the USA, we are also inundated with a tabloid mentality that means we must be exposed to a barrage of coverage and ruminating on any such event. In the halcyon days before CNN, Faux News, et al, we had similar events which were little noted nationally. They represented the extreme fringe of individuals wh owere either deranged or evil. Now, folks who may have this predilection, see it make headlines for weeks. Whatever mechanism may have been present to deter them is now overtaken by the "15 minutes of fame" phenomena.

The vilest part of this, IMHO, is when talking heads such as Nancy Grace make their names over playing up these tragedies. Or politically motivated morons claim that it is the fault of their opponents that such things happen.

Until we learn to tone down the media wallowing in this type of carnage, we will probably see it continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
      '

Until we learn to tone down the media wallowing in this type of carnage, we will probably see it continue.
      I agree, if your already gonna kill yourself and you can easily be famous also, why not?
      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
        'Cause men are inherently evil. :wink: .

I don't understand the connection between the frequency of these events and the media reporting them. They either happen, or they don't. Are you suggesting there was a time when these things went under-reported relative to now? I'd prefer a culling of the statistical data to see whether these events are [1] becoming more frequent [2] becoming more "severe", ie. numbers of fatalities in individual shooting sprees are representative of a "wilder" psychosis on the part of the demented [3] increasing [maybe] with an apparent "connection' to the increasing coverage by the media.

AND I repeat the question: Are these types of psychotic individuals very predominantly a product of some kinds of societies, while being virtually non-existent in others? And WHY not women doing this? If we can delve deeper into exploring these questions, we might be on the right track to getting at the underlying causes.
        Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Working...
        X