Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Are Virginia Tech

I received the following note from Ben Thomas, the head x-country and distance coach at Virginia Tech, after the team returned from the ACC Championships.

"We are just trying to get back to some sense of normalcy around here. We did not lose any of our athletes in last week's tragedy; but we lost friends and acquaintances, and we all lost a part of ourselves and our community.

We did decide to go on to compete at the ACC Championships this weekend. It turned out to be a great step forward in the healing process for all of our coaches and athletes.

In fact, we won the women's ACC Track Championship this weekend!

It's been a very tragic and trying time; yet I must say I have never been prouder of this team. I am truly inspired by our athletes and how they were able to not only cope, but compete at their very best. They really came together as a family this weekend and picked each other up and ran like they have never run before. We will not be defined by this tragedy. WE WILL BE DEFINED BY HOW WE OVERCOME.

We are presenting the ACC Trophy to (VT) President Stegar to dedicate to our 32 classmates."

Coach Thomas added, "We would really like to thank all those in our track and field family who have reached out with their thoughts, prayers, and support. It is greatly appreciated and has been a great testament to the fact that the worst of times often brings out the best in people.

This is truly a great community. A great team to be a part of.

Professor Nikki Giovanni said it best at our convocation after the tragedy:

We are Virginia Tech.

We are sad today, and we will be sad for quite a while. We are not moving on, we are embracing our mourning.

We are Virginia Tech.

The Hokie Nation embraces our own and reaches out with open heart and hands to those who offer their hearts and minds. We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid. We are better than we think and not quite what we want to be. We are alive to the imaginations and the possibilities. We will continue to invent the future through our blood and tears and through all our sadness.

We are the Hokies.

We will prevail.

We will prevail.

We will prevail.

We are Virginia Tech.

And now, everybody can be Virginia Tech, as pirate merchandise becomes an issue. What a sad commentary on society:

http://chronicle.com/daily/2007/08/2007082002n.htm

Comment

More misfortune at Va. Tech.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20349473/

Comment

I for one, am NOT VT!

Comment

With all the tragedy VT has had this year, it is mind boggling that they invited a violence advocating rapper for a "back to school" performance

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
            With all the tragedy VT has had this year, it is mind boggling that they invited a violence advocating rapper for a "back to school" performance
            Its just music. Methinks the lonewolf "is a tad too sensitive..."

Comment

Originally posted by TrakFan
              Nope, it is not "just music", it is the lyrics that are objectional.

First time I have ever been accused of being sensitive..

Comment

Originally posted by TrakFan
                Nope, it is not "just music", it is the lyrics that are objectional.

First time I have ever been accused of being sensitive..
                What's wrong with being "a tad too sensitive"?
                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Not that there is anything wrong with being sensitive, except being "too" anything implies negativity, I don't recall ever having been so complimented.

Comment

Can't boggle the mindless:

"One 44, two 45's
                    3 loaded clips, 4 niggas roll, one nigga drives
                    500 Benz, 6 reasons why
                    This kid should die
                    We shootin every m-----f---er outside
                    Pulled on his block, jumped out the car, guns in our hand
                    At the same time everybody ran
                    There that nigga go, hiding in the crowd
                    Let the trigger blow, 7 shots now he lying on the ground

Shoot 'em up, just shoot 'em up, what…
                    (whispering)
                    Kill kill kill, murder murder murder"

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/200 ... er_to.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02282.html

Now here's a mind to boggle: Reminds me of Madonna insincerely whining that people don't get her sense of "humour" :wink:

http://rap.about.com/b/a/258234.htm

Comment

I read the links offered. Most of the apologists for NAS argue that the lyrics cited are from a "song" recorded eight years ago.. Does anyone know the statue of limitations for bad taste?

Comment

opher hev-unz saik i ment 2 Ed It sum thing Ell-S
                        Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Think these college kids would buy into this crap? I'd bet my Ashford autograph on it:

"All music is related to each other so make fun of one genre and you will make fun of every genre."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... sic&page=2

Sorry, but I cannot fabricate any fun whatsoever out of NAS and his nasty genre. He considers himself intelligent, let's hear him tackle some Bach, without butchering it.
                          Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Working...
                          X