Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke Free

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Smoke Free

    The state of Arizona went smoke free as of May 1. That means no smoking in any public building. What other states, provinces, countries, cities have such a law?

  • #2
    It has been like that in Victoria and I believe most of BC for a few years now.

    Looks like smoking on an outside restaurant patio is next here.

    Comment


    • #3
      Italy -since 2005 or thereabouts

      Other countries in the EU have similar laws as well.

      Comment


      • #4
        Long time in CA. I think it was 1994 for most businesses, 1998 for bars, restaruants, casinos, ballparks and other 'public' places. It's a good thing . . .

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bad hammy
          Long time in CA. I think it was 1994 for most businesses, 1998 for bars, restaruants, casinos, ballparks and other 'public' places. It's a good thing . . .
          I cant enjoy a cigar in a park but joe six-pack can drive to the park and thru the park in a giant gas guzziling, smog spewing truck. Would you rather have your mouth on his tail pipe or my cigar?
          8)
          phsstt!

          Comment


          • #6
            I have a problem with various governments having their cake and eating it too. Major source of tax revenue for most countries but, at the same time, they know it is a major health hazard. If it is that bad, then ban it. These half measures are ridiculous particularly when they are making money off the product.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MJD
              I have a problem with various governments having their cake and eating it too. Major source of tax revenue for most countries but, at the same time, they know it is a major health hazard. If it is that bad, then ban it. These half measures are ridiculous particularly when they are making money off the product.
              Name one prohibition that worked.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pego
                Originally posted by MJD
                I have a problem with various governments having their cake and eating it too. Major source of tax revenue for most countries but, at the same time, they know it is a major health hazard. If it is that bad, then ban it. These half measures are ridiculous particularly when they are making money off the product.
                Name one prohibition that worked.
                There isnt one.
                phsstt!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pego
                  Name one prohibition that worked.
                  Not my point.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't think the object of these laws is prohibition. It is simply moving the activity to places where it can do less harm to others. If people choose to smoke, they have the right to make that choice. But if other people choose not to inhale smoke, they should have that right, too. By banning indoor smoking, states and local governments can protect non-smokers, while still allowing smokers to smoke in their own homes or outdoors. That is not prohibition, and it can work.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If it is that bad, then who protects the children of people who smoke indoors? Presumably they are the people who need the most protection. It is state sponsored drug distribution of a substance that is much more harmful than many currently banned substances. My point is the hypocrisy..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Parents who smoke indoors with children present are morons and i believe there should be a law with fines. Squackee ejoying a cigar outside in a giant park with not another human within 100's of yards is another story.
                        phsstt!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MJD
                          If it is that bad, then who protects the children of people who smoke indoors? Presumably they are the people who need the most protection. It is state sponsored drug distribution of a substance that is much more harmful than many currently banned substances. My point is the hypocrisy..
                          You do have a point. If you give your child poison, you go beyond what is considered the permissible exercise of your discretion to parent as you see fit, and we can charge you with a crime. Why should indoor smoking in your home be different if an innocent child must breathe your smoke? I don't have a good answer, but I suspect you would agree that this is legislation that would probably be impossible to pass. Nor would attempting to deal with that conduct under existing child protection laws get very far.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Not to worry. When I'm King (and the local groundswell of support and encouragement is reaching critical mass), everybody will be required to be smoking a cigar at all times.

                            A few years back, I pulled-up alongside a car on the freeway driven by an older gentleman with (presumably) his wife in the passanger seat. He was puffin' on a big cigar and all the windows were up. Now, she was a trooper! An inspiration to us all.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tandfman
                              If people choose to smoke, they have the right to make that choice.
                              But what if tobacco is not what I want to smoke?? :wink:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X