Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
    Lived in Gainesville for 23 yrs, and loved it. . . .
    But there is lots more to Gainesville with great art, music, restaurants, nightlife, etc..
    So would YOU rate it #1? If so, god bless your reptilian little heart!! (that's a compliment down here! )

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
      god bless your reptilian little heart!! (that's a compliment down here! )
      Yet another reason not to live in Gainesville!

Comment

As a rule of thumb, I would posit that just about any college town is worth living in. I've seen a lot of them (although probably far fewer than you might think) in my decades here and I can't think of one that didn't have appeal for me. Something about campuses I really dig.

That's putting weather considerations aside, that is.

Comment

Brantford made the mistake about 40 years ago of not fighting to have Brock. 7 or 8 years ago, they started work on getting a Laurier satellite campus which started a couple of years later with less than 100 students. Anyone with a half a brain knew it would be the catalyst to kick start the redevelopment of a decrepit downtown and that is exactly what happened. Most cities in Canada with university or college campuses are usually great places to live.

Guy in charge of the campus:

http://www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=37&p=660

One of a set of triplets, all of whom ran and competed and one of whom was national class.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            As a rule of thumb, I would posit that just about any college town is worth living in.
            I agree, but Gainesville, the town, off-campus, is, by and large, how shall I say this delicately, less than attractive, both visually and culturally. (although some of the suburban enclaves are, as you can imagine, fairly nice)

Comment

I have to agree with tafnut! I went to G-ville for the first time a few years ago and was pretty surprised at how unimpressed I was. What I really noticed was all the junk yards I kept seeing. I was disappointed to say the least.

There is a town north of San Antonio called Boerne (pronounced "Bernie") that would get my vote. It is a growing community and admittedly is not cheap. But everytime I go through there I'm amazed at the beauty of the town.

Comment

Originally posted by deca-pat
                I have to agree with tafnut!
                You don't HAVE to; you are compelled by the sheer beauty of my rhetoric and brilliant clarity of my logic!!

Comment

perhaps I MUST then!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    As a rule of thumb, I would posit that just about any college town is worth living in. I've seen a lot of them (although probably far fewer than you might think) in my decades here and I can't think of one that didn't have appeal for me. Something about campuses I really dig.
                    They don't call Chapel Hill "The Southern Part of Heaven" without reason. (But now I hear it's more like "The Crowded and Congested Part of Heaven." )

Comment

Originally posted by deca-pat
                      I have to agree with tafnut! I went to G-ville for the first time a few years ago and was pretty surprised at how unimpressed I was. What I really noticed was all the junk yards I kept seeing.
                      If you saw anything at all, I'd guess that one of the following was true:

--You arrived there by train, bus, or other public transportation
                      --You did not arrive there by car in the summer
                      --You did arrive there by car in the summer, but cleaned the dead insects off your windshield before you got to town. Otherwise, I don't know how you could have seen a thing, I remember driving there once in June or early July. I've never seen anything like the bug-filled air you had to drive through in order to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                        Originally posted by gh
                        They don't call Chapel Hill "The Southern Part of Heaven" without reason. (But now I hear it's more like "The Crowded and Congested Part of Heaven." )
                        This I don't understand. Most college towns I've visited had a lot of charm. Somehow, Chapel Hill was rather unimpressive. Maybe I am just weird.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                          This I don't understand. Most college towns I've visited had a lot of charm. Somehow, Chapel Hill was rather unimpressive. Maybe I am just weird.
                          I visited there with my daughter and we were BOTH unimpressed. On the other hand we both liked Wake Forest and Davidson a LOT! Alas, they were a little on the pricey side, even with some scholarship aid.

Comment

Concerning college towns -
                            Recall reading that the number 1 predictor of growth and prosperity in cities is their attraction of young, adult (25-34) intellectual capital. Businesses want the top young minds and entrepeneurs. And that's what you find in college towns.
                            I would rate Austin and Boulder (and numerous CA cities) ahead of Gainesville.

Comment

I don't think of Austin as a college town. It's the state capital, and it's a city of about 700,000 people.

Comment

Re: Best City . . . . . . Gainesville??!!

Madison drops 36 places from last time on news that Schumacker is leaving for Oregon. Or possibly it was the increase in unsolved murders?

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag ... index.html

Comment

Working...
                                X