Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog fighting's OK per NFL players Portis, Samuels

From SI.com:

"NORFOLK, Va. (AP) -- Washington Redskins players Clinton Portis and Chris Samuels defended Michael Vick on Monday by ridiculing the notion that dog fighting is considered a crime.

In an interview with WAVY-TV, Portis said that if the Atlanta Falcons quarterback is charged and convicted of being involved in a dog fighting operation, then authorities would be "putting him behind bars for no reason."

"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not," Portis said. "But it's his property; it's his dogs. If that's what he wants to do, do it."

Portis said dog fighting is a "prevalent" part of life."

The NFL Think Tank at work.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/f ... ml?cnn=yes

The obvious irony is that we condone PEOPLE smattering each other's brains out (and don't listen to Pego's inane 'voluntary' screed; NO one wants to have to fight for a living - some people just see it as the only way up).

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
      The obvious irony is that we condone PEOPLE smattering each other's brains out (and don't listen to Pego's inane 'voluntary' screed; NO one wants to have to fight for a living - some people just see it as the only way up).
      As with most generalizations, wrong, quite a few do.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Make that, a scary amount of people do.

I went to college (not some HS ape) with a guy whose idea of fun was to walk through the "other" part of town on Saturday nights and yell a racial epithet just to get a good brawl going.

Not only did he love to hit people, he also didn't mind getting hit.

Think of the Eastwood character in one of the Every Which Way series, when at one point he says he's worried because he's starting to like getting hit.

Comment

I see all these untimate fighting contests on tv , there must be a half dozen and i wonder why all these guy CHOSE to fight? THEY LOVE IT!

Its almost always a mistake to place your values on someone else as long as its a voluntary endeavor . Im gonna say it again- THEY LOVE TO FIGHT!
          phsstt!

Comment

One of my neighbors wrestled for Nebraska for a couple of years. Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet and one of the reasons he quit was that over half his teammates thought a great time was to go to parties on weekends and get into fights.

Comment

bad hammy say: Fight Club - great movie, but not a way to live . . .

Comment

Re: Dog fighting's OK per NFL players Portis, Samuels

Originally posted by DrJay
                "I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not," Portis said. "But it's his property; it's his dogs. If that's what he wants to do, do it."
                Didn't someone make the case on these boards that football players are the athletes with most brains and education? Couple of shining examples of that. Retards.

In actual fact, there are some efforts underway to move away from the definition of pets as property.

"Yet in most states and across Canada legislation treats animals as property whose value does not necessarily exceed the animal's market price, often restricting the amount a pet owner can claim in damages if filing for a loss due to negligence."

http://tinyurl.com/39k75m

Comment

Making dogs fight each other is cruel. Is that simple enough?
                  phsstt!

Comment

Re: Dog fighting's OK per NFL players Portis, Samuels

Originally posted by MJD
                    Didn't someone make the case on these boards that football players are the athletes with most brains and education?
                    Wasn't making the case. Just regurgitating what I heard on the radio.

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... 473#314473

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                      OK, I'll amend my statement to say, 'NO one (with a functioning brain stem) wants to fight for a living.'

Comment

[quote="tafnut"

OK, I'll amend my statement to say, 'NO one (with a functioning brain stem) wants to fight for a living.'[/quote]

Why Nut?
                        phsstt!

Comment

I think people who jump out of perfectly good airplanes are nutz. I think people who ride their motorcycles at 100 miles an hour darting thru traffic are nutz. I think people who climb Everest are nutz. But they probably think im nutz for running when theres nothin chasing me! :P
                          phsstt!

Comment

OK, I'll amend my statement to say, 'NO one (with a functioning brain stem) wants to fight for a living.'
                            Hey, I am in a fighting mood. The higher nervous function is in the cortex, not a brain stem :wink: .

On this note, I just got this in the e-mail.
                            "Listen patiently to what people think. It doesn't happen often."
                            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

"Listen patiently to what people think. It doesn't happen often."
                              That's because you'd have to be a mind reader to hear what people are thinking . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X