Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Knew It! ANYBODY Can Get Into Stanford

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... Q1IDA1.DTL

Thanks to tafnut we already knew that . . .

:P

Comment

yes, but getting 'in' and 'getting in' are two entirely separate issues! In my stay there I met many people who seemed to just be there, but weren't actually enrolled. In my own defense, I very much doubt I would have even applied if I had known how hard it is to get accepted. Coming from Connecticut, I had absolutely NO idea whatsoever WHAT Stanford was. Glad I did go though! People ALWAYS assume I'm much smarter than I actually am!!

Comment

"(Kim) convinced her to keep the window open because she didn't have a key, so she could get in through the window. She's obviously very persuasive. ... "
        i thought these kids were smart ?!

after a few months, the room-mate hadn't got suspicious that this imposter still didn't have a room-key & still needed an open window to get into the room ???

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
          People ALWAYS assume I'm much smarter than I actually am!!
          No, we don't

Comment

ugghh...

i can guess who had to do a hip-replacement on a 350 pound blubbermound today

Comment

Ran into Larry Questad (sp?) at NCAA in Boise about 1994(?)

Larry, one of the last great white sprinters who was in the famous 100m race in Sacramento in 1965(?) where eight men broke the WR or AR or something like that, tells an amusing anecdote about how he happened to attend Stanford.
              Seems Larry , a multi-sport All-State stud in rural Montana, valdictorian, etc.. was inundated with scholarship offers from prestigous seats of higher learning.
              When he received an academic scholarship offer from Leland Stanford, Jr. University, his parents, although convinced he was the smartest kid in Montana and possibly the universe but uncertain of his comparitive athletic ability and unmindful of Stanford's rightfully vaunted position in academia, thought it would be wise for him to attend this unfamiliar " Stanford Junior College" on the academic scholarship for a year while he acclimated to life in the big outside world instead of staking his future on athletics at, say, USC, UCLA or Montana State.
              Equally clueless, Larry trundled off to Palo Alto where he says he quickly discovered he was not nearly as smart in California as he was in Montana. Fortuitously, he says, he was a better athlete than student.. Stanford swapped the academic scholarship for an athletic full ride and nearly every one nearly lived happily nearly ever after....

Comment

Equally true story. When I moved to NorCal and started attending Stanford football games, I spent most of the first year being entertained by the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band, and wondering if they were saving the real band for The Big Game!

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                  ugghh...

I only do shoulder and elbow surgery electively. Actually had a great day in the OR.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Equally true story. When I moved to NorCal and started attending Stanford football games, I spent most of the first year being entertained by the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band, and wondering if they were saving the real band for The Big Game!
                    Well at least you weren't listening to the band with one of the great acronyms - the Duke University Marching Band - DUMB. They advertise it that way, asking students to join the DUMB.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                      Originally posted by eldrick
                      ugghh...

I only do shoulder and elbow surgery electively. Actually had a great day in the OR.
                      i'll have to edit that to : the worn-out pitcher who's had so many open interventions that his rotator-cuff consists of little more than a bowl of 5y ole chop-suey adhesions

please make me feel better & say that that is your average day rather than shaving a little bit of gunge of a trophy wife's supraspinatus after she's been carrying too much to the limo from dolce & gabbana

Comment

And another one!!!!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          And another one!!!!
                          I hate to break it to these journalists and university administrators, but this sort of thing is probably going on in every large campus in America. I remember people like this back in my day - just didn't seem all that bizarre.

Comment

Coincidentally, these revelations come at the same time the legal system finally deals James Hogue (Jay Mitchell Huntsman at Palo Alto HS, and Alexi Santana at Princeton) a sentence commensurable to harm he's caused society.

http://www.telluridegateway.com/article ... news01.txt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hogue

Comment

Yes, malmo, we know.

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=18557

Comment

Working...
                              X