Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local columnist's take:
    Originally posted by Jon Carroll
    Also Page 1: "Wannabe freshman outwits Stanford." Quote: " 'Why the young woman chose to pose as a Stanford freshman is unclear,' university spokeswoman Kate Chesley said." Perhaps I could help solve the mystery: I'm pretty sure there are at least 50 million people out there who would pose as Stanford freshmen if they could. Learn the classics from distinguished professors! Linger in the quad! Cultivate friends with benefits! Plus, no enrollment means no stress about exams. Stanford should not be so coy about its attractions.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... P19FQ1.DTL

Comment

Can Chris Huffins get in? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        Sorry, former Cal people need not apply. We may not have the HIGHEST standards in the country, but we DO have SOME standards.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Originally posted by Edrick Floreal
          “This guy was just hanging around the track during workouts. He also showed up to meets, even away meets. He could sort of talk the talk, and our athletes actually did pick up a few pointers from him. What finally gave it away was when he started talking about getting an Olympic deca medal. We KNEW that had to be BS and ran him off the campus.”

Comment

A HS classmate of mine was actually was one of these imposters at Tx A&M. Our common friends all assumed he was enrolled since he left every morning with a backpack, went to the library, etc. They lived off campus from the start so he didn't have to sneak into a dorm to live. No one figured it out until their junior year when he disappeared for a few days and they got the mail (which he ALWAYS did) and they all had statements for maxed out credit cards he'd taken out in their names, etc. They called his parents and they said he wasn't enrolled and thought he was working full-time there. He'd gotten in deep with a local bookie and had to leave town. No idea if he was ever found or not.

Comment

And she (the first one) was simultaenously doing impressive work as an ROTC student down the road at Santa Clara!

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... Q3PB91.DTL

Comment

On a serious note, a deep look at the huge problems facing Stanford athletics these days as the bar has been (or at least was for a few years there) raised to the point where they're having trouble getting enough good athletes in for the major programs (long read):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 002&sc=441

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  On a serious note, a deep look at the huge problems facing Stanford athletics these days as the bar has been (or at least was for a few years there) raised to the point where they're having trouble getting enough good athletes in for the major programs (long read):
                  I see their lead in the Sears Cup is smaller than usual. I'm all for high standards, but athletics brings in $$$ (not that they need any with the HP and GoogleGuyz sending in their moolah) and good publicity, so get REAL, Farmers!!!

Division I 2006-07 Standings - 5/31

1. Stanford 1245.50
                  2. UCLA 952.00
                  3. California 942.50

This is a scary stat:

- Only 10.9 percent of the freshman applicants were admitted. For comparison, Duke admitted 21.2 percent while Harvard accepted 9.3 percent.

-- Only 17.4 percent of applicants with an SAT verbal score of 700 or higher were admitted.

-- Only 14 percent of the applicants with an SAT math score of 700 or higher were admitted.

Comment

It was announced today that Stanford had indeed won the Cup for the 13th time in a row.

Comment

Working...
                    X