Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 25 sports stories of the last 25 years...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 25 sports stories of the last 25 years...

...according to USA Today. I'm sure non-USAnians will just find it annoying.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/top25-sportsmoments.htm

This is actually highly amusing. Note that only #14 has globality in it.

My conclusion? The compilator is a first class moron.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

That list would absolutely stink even if it were a list of the top 25 American sports stories...

Comment

Unfortunately, viewed through the point of view of headlineage in American papers/TV, the list is pretty right on. For man in the street, the ordering of things will be great source of debate, but the choices fit the mold perfectly.

Damn.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
          Note that only #14 has globality in it.
          To be fair #3 "Tiger wins first Masters" was probably was a global affair too.

Originally posted by gh
          Damn.
          damn

Comment

I wonder if 25 makes the list if The Great One is still with Edmonton when he breaks the record. The ridiculous thing is that his careeer in LA was an afterthought and when I think of him, I don't think of that record. You also have to wonder if 21 makes the list if someone else wins The Tour 7 times in a row.

I don't even really consider baseball to be a sport and it made the list 9 times I think. And Rose and OJ aren't really sports stories per se. Ditto Ashe, Magic, Earnhardt, the earthquake and the silly figure skating thing. The whole list is embarassing.

Comment

Two viciously butchered dead bodies, a car crash death, AIDS, HIV, a psychotic Trailer Park Piece of Work Trash, an earthquake, a flying bra, a union strike, ESPN, and then a spattering of trivia from baseball, football, baseball, football, and in all of that, a few genuinely great and truly deserving moments, like Tiger Woods and Wayne Gretzky. Hip Hip Ho-ray, USA Today!
              Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mennisco
                Two viciously butchered dead bodies, a car crash death, AIDS, HIV, a psychotic Trailer Park Piece of Work Trash, an earthquake, a flying bra, a union strike, ESPN, and then a spattering of trivia from baseball, football, baseball, football, and in all of that, a few genuinely great and truly deserving moments, like Tiger Woods and Wayne Gretzky. Hip Hip Ho-ray, USA Today!
                Look at what USAnians watch on television. They have no credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                  Glad you didn't say "Americans". :wink:
                  Take good care of yourself.

Comment

That would be wrong since it would include us.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                      Glad you didn't say "Americans". :wink:
                      Would it have made any difference? Is Canadian TV free of this stuff? (Not rhetorical, I have no idea.)

Comment

No where near as much of it(of those shows we actually make).

Comment

I gotta go with Pego on this one. He simply has no clue what he's talking about. It's one thing to have an ignorant opinion. It's quite another to tell everyone in the English-speaking world that you're, as Pego says, a moron. Although I am frequently told that some of my opinions are, shall we say, misinformed, at least I'm smart enough to know that they're just my own, and not foist them on the Free World as The Standard, as this journalist (sic) is doing.

Comment

On the other hand the compiler was limited by the preamble:

A look back at some of the headline stars and most controversial issues dominating the sports pages of USA TODAY in the last quarter century:

Comment

Note that next week they're doing Music. I'm going for Milli Vanilli as No. 1

Comment

Working...
                              X