Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh deer.....

I just read an article about a female runner in Minnesota, running a ten k last Saturday, and a deer apparently crashed into her, sending her into the air. She received post-race recognition for being airborne the longest. Previously she totaled her first car and damaged a couple others in collisions involving deer. Have any of you had similar experiences?

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/moose.asp#photo

Comment

Re: Oh deer.....

Originally posted by stallion
      Have any of you had similar experiences?
      I have bagged a couple of foxes in my lifetime. 8) With all the deer here in Connecticut and me running 20 miles at 4 am every mornin its just blind luck i havent been bucked. :wink:
      phsstt!

Comment

I hit a small doe in mid morning many years ago- minutes later, a park ranger came by, wrote me a slip giving permisison to have it, and we ate venison that night an numerous others. It broke the front turn signal cover- as I recall, it cost under $10 to fix.
        A friend totaled his car in the middle of town (Williamsburg, VA) on a deer one night.

Comment

I totalled my Volvo two years ago (2005-april) driving on E6 about 15km north of Göteborg. We have wildlife fences erected along either side of the freeway. Driving alone when a deer came "out of nowhere" (don:t they always?), stayed stuck in the headlights, and I swerved to avoid it at 120kph. Hit the guard rail, spun seven times (skid marks), and walked out of a totalled car with a bruised shoulder (seatbelt) and a scraped lower left leg. Unnecessary ambulans ride to the hospital, and polis told me that my saving grace was having a Volvo (motor sunk down into the lower front of the inside of the car, and all my windows burst upon one of the impacts); the two officers who visited me in the hospital told me they assumed there was a fatality when they first arrived at the scene (23 minutes after the accident, and five minutes after the ambulans left).

It was a total trip, because I saw everything happening in slow motion, and even after the vehicle had finally come to a complete stop, I was trying to apply the brakes. Yellow airbag popped out when I hit the rail, yet I wound up under it somehow (likely ducking when I hit the rail). Had to exit the passenger door by kicking it open, as my door was pinned shut.

Got out and started directing traffic (!) to avoid the scene, and really didn:t know it was me in the accident until the ambulans arrived and asked where the driver was.

That was my second deer encounter. The first was in 1989 along a freeway when two of them stopped in my lane and caused me to drive off the freeway and into a ditch, tearing up the underside of my car.

Comment

Knocking on wood here. They are all over my neighborhood but I have yet to smack one or cause a problem by avoidance maneuvers.

Comment

Tore up the front end of a Lincoln Mark VI one dark night on a narrow, twisting mountain road somewhere SW of Johnson City, TN the year NCAA was in Knoxville,.. deer materialized in my headlights. leaping out of the trees from the left, impact at right front headlight, shattered the one piece front grill panel, drove right fender back into passenger door, could not open door.. fortunately did not break left headlight..I stopped but could not find the deer in the brush on the right side of the road..hard to imagine the deer survived..dunno..

Comment

I ran over one deer...got really luck that he tried to turn back and slipped on the pavement and fell down. I ran right over him. Pretty lucky for me anyway since it did no damage to my car. When riding a motorcycle in junior high, i wasn't paying attention and ran over a calf that was laying in the tall grass. It got up and was fine.

Comment

I had one bounce off the back end of my BMW 19 months ago. Somehow no damage and went back to find the deer and couldn't find it. Even went back later in the daylight to see if it was around. One that was not so lucky ended up under a tree in my front yard a few months ago. Bottom half of one of its legs was kind of lying by its side-broken right off. It was actually kind of a pain getting it disposed of.

Comment

I am suprised more people didn't eat their deer.

Sort of related a friend of my borthers was belaying someone under a cliff when a 40 pound rock broke loose and landed on his shoulder. the first trip he took when he got out of the hospital was to go back to pick up his rock and take it home.

Comment

Originally posted by Helen S
                      I am suprised more people didn't eat their deer.

A lot of times the meat is bad because of the engorging of blood after the hit (which permeates and degenerates the tissue quicker).

Ironically, the 10k. the Minnesota woman was running was called the "Sour Grapes Run."

Comment

Yeah, I've seen whole hindquarters of a deer ruined for venison because of poorly-placed shot.

Comment

Epelle,
                          Suggest that next time you see a deer in the headlights, just apply brakes, hold steering wheel firmly, do not try to swerve, and stay on the pavement. Growing up in the country, I probably hit a (small) animal once a year on the roads. These were generally one lane roads, with ditches on each side, so it was not prudent to swerve.

Comment

Growing up in the country, I never had a close encounter before 1989, and didn:t have another until 2005! ;-)

Comment

Working...
                            X