Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No USA Flag-draping at Olympics?

Jim Scherr, USOC chief executive, said Tuesday the group wants to focus on Chinese cultural differences and expectations of good behavior because of the magnitude of the 2008 Summer Olympics.

"The Opening Ceremony will be the most watched TV event at that point in time," Scherr told the Mercury News after announcing in a news conference that San Jose State University will be the 2008 team processing center. "We want to make sure the athletes understand the stage they are on."
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_6129566?source=rss

No USA Flag-draping at Olympics?
    Excuse me, the USA Men's 4x100 Relay Team, barring a baton mishap, reserves the right to follow the time-honored tradition of celebrating their victory by wearing the flag like Superman's cape and running around the stadium like screaming banshees.

Comment

And if they drop the baton, how then, therefore, shall they act? ;-)

What culture training did other nations undergo when they made their journies out to Atlanta? Did they learn how to push and shove, curse and grow stone-cold faces in order to make it first to the food line in the Olympic Village? In all seriousness, however, what - if any - culture training (or advice) was given to non-USAnians who crossed over the border to participate in 1996?

The Olympic experience should be about learning the culture where you are participating and also leaving a bit of your own culture for the peoples to whose nation you have been invited.

Comment

Talk about misleading! Note that the word "flag" appears nowhere in the article cited.

I noted that in Helsinki that the (ab)use of national flags was far more prevalent among athletes of ohter nations. When a small country does it it's a legitimate expression of joy; when Americans do it (thanks to the Sydney 4x1?) it's now viewed as showing off of some sort.

If it were up to me I'd ban all flags, but this is rank hypocrisy.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
          what - if any - culture training (or advice) was given to non-USAnians who crossed over the border to participate in 1996?
          They all had to sit through a 90-minute set of Jeff Foxworthy doing his 'You Might Be a Redneck If . . . ' routine.

Comment

Would the Olympics be better or worse with no flags and everyone wearing grey outfits?
            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Talk about misleading! Note that the word "flag" appears nowhere in the article cited.
              So true! Was a more than a bit sensationalistic. However, first thing i thought about when reading the article was what tafnut referenced beneath the initial post. Why is that?

Comment

??? You're the one who started the whole flag as topic, not the newspaper story.

Comment

Re-phrased: I thought about the USA 4x100m team when I thought about having manners in China. tafnut mentioned that off the bat. Why does one think about athletics first when it comes to manners? This question above had nothing to do with flags, necessarily, rather the show-boating, flexing, staring, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                    show-boating, flexing, staring, etc.
                    They WERE a little over-the-top, but given the 'rules' in place and the cultural mores, I didn't mind their shenanigans too much. I like enthusiasm and ebullience. There was no malice intended. That said, I could do without the flags OR the national anthems. Just run the meet!

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                      That said, I could do without the flags OR the national anthems. Just run the meet!
                      But isnt the whole meet about athletes from DIFFERENT COUNTRIES coming together for 2 weeks to compete. Why hide the obvious?
                      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                        That said, I could do without the flags OR the national anthems. Just run the meet!
                        But isnt the whole meet about athletes from DIFFERENT COUNTRIES coming together for 2 weeks to compete. Why hide the obvious?
                        Agreed. Instead, paint flags on the cheeks of all competitors!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                          They are wearing their nation's uniform. Everyone knows where they're from. That nation's media will play it up HUGE. Why do we need flags and anthems at the stadium?

Comment

[quote="tafnut. Why do we need flags and anthems at the stadium?[/quote]

So we can celebrate diversity!
                            phsstt!

Comment

I have gotten VERY TIRED of all these winning athletes that "spontaneously" ( oh, sure) grab their national flag and then parade around on a victory lap.

As far as I am concerned all these on-the-track flag displays should be prohibited.

Comment

Working...
                              X