Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe, who watches athletics once every four years -- that is, Joe who doesn:t know 3.50 -- likes the idea of seeing his flag on television. He raises his can of beer in tribute to the accomplishment of his fellow countryman and shed:s a tear, saying, "That was beautiful, man."

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
      I have gotten VERY TIRED of all these winning athletes that "spontaneously" ( oh, sure) grab their national flag and then parade around on a victory lap.

As far as I am concerned all these on-the-track flag displays should be prohibited.
      I see your point and they do seem so contrived. I think we can have a happy medium, not sure what it would be.
      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
        I see your point and they do seem so contrived. I think we can have a happy medium, not sure what it would be.
        I like it when they get one of those miniature flags (it's looks about 6" long) on a stick and run their lap waving it. The draping thing? Not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
          Would the Olympics be better or worse with no flags and everyone wearing grey outfits?
          I say nude. Lets go all Ancient Greek on 'em.

Little flags, victory laps, big smiles and genuine joy - go for it.
          big giant cape-flags, flexing, hootin an' hollerin like you was raised in a barn - no thanks.

Comment

Ok, you have your choice of large flag, or small one, which do you choose?

Do I like flag-waving?

Professionals, yes

Juniors, no

Want to tell these guys to cut it out?

Or these?

Comment

I like the little flag better. More restrained and classy.
              phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle

Want to tell these guys to cut it out?

Or these?
                They're all 98-pounds soaking wet. Of course I'd bully them into stopping that tomfoolery (is it called Kipfoolery in Kenya?)!

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                  ...tomfoolery (is it called Kipfoolery in Kenya?)!
                  priceless!

Comment

C'mon guys, relax, just let it happen.. che sera, che sera.. this is a moment to exult and your country's symbol is part of you.. I suspect that if I ever won an Olympic competition I might even break a grin and wave a flag.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                      I suspect that if I ever won an Olympic competition I might even break a grin and wave a flag.
                      If YOU won the Olympics, we'd ALL we waving flags for a very long time, cuz it would mean miracles are REAL!! :twisted:

Comment

How about the Special Olympics?.. I got this bad knee..

Comment

Re: No USA Flag-draping at Olympics?

Jim Scherr, USOC chief executive, said Tuesday the group wants to focus on Chinese cultural differences and expectations of good behavior because of the magnitude of the 2008 Summer Olympics.

"The Opening Ceremony will be the most watched TV event at that point in time," Scherr told the Mercury News after announcing in a news conference that San Jose State University will be the 2008 team processing center. "We want to make sure the athletes understand the stage they are on."
                          http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_6129566?source=rss
                          If Jim Scheer wants to actually do something useful, perhaps he should give a copy of the lyrics to the National Anthem to every American Olympian. The words aren't "Blah-de-blub red glare-ya-de-da-glub dub blah flag was still there."

"The Star-spangled Banner"
                          -words by Francis Scott Key
                          -set to the melody of "The Anacreontic Song" also known as "Tubthumping"

O say, can you see, by the dawn’s early light,
                          What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
                          Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight
                          O’er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
                          And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air
                          Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
                          O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
                          O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

[Stanzas 2,3 and 4 ostensibly omitted to mitigate the effects of that caterwauling high G. The real reason is so that ballparks can sell more beer.]

Comment

Joe, who watches athletics once every four years -- that is, Joe who doesn:t know 3.50 -- likes the idea of seeing his flag on television. He raises his can of beer in tribute to the accomplishment of his fellow countryman and shed:s a tear, saying, "That was beautiful, man."
                            Then call me Joe (or Jose, or Josef, etc.). Knowledge of the sport does not mean that I don't get excited about the national pride part of the event.

Comment

Working...
                            X