Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bambam
    Originally posted by bambam
    Here's a great trivia question on The Open. Name the only two golfers born in Dublin to have won The Open? (Hint: don't even consider any obvious ones)
    So I'll answer this - nobody would get it anyway
    There's always Wikipedia !

Comment

sergio the "w*anker" leading by 2 after 1st round

interactive betting on an exchange ( punters betting live ) have tiger currently at 3.5/1 & sergio about 8/1

http://www.betdaq.com/UI/Default.aspx

( note £1 = ~ $2 )

Comment

John Daly ( the loveable drunken hillbilly ) was leading at @ 5 under when the wheels to wagon came off and balloned to +3 and 79th place. :shock:
        phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
          the wheels to wagon came off and balloned to +3 and 79th place. :shock:
          He lost EIGHT shots to par on the back nine??!!

[I just looked at the leaderboard and he did it in SEVEN holes!! :shock: ]

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
            Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            the wheels to wagon came off and balloned to +3 and 79th place. :shock:
            He lost EIGHT shots to par on the back nine??!!

[I just looked at the leaderboard and he did it in SEVEN holes!! :shock: ]
            Thats my Johnny! "Grip it and rip it" lost more than 10 shots to par on one hole -the 18th at pebble.
            phsstt!

Comment

there seems to be a significant difference between difficulty of front-9 & back ( only a short par 4 at the 11th & the par 5 at 14 are birdie opportunities ) - you have to make your score on the front-9 & hold on for the back-9 : i believe paddy had best back-9 of anyone that was only 2-under

the 16th & 18th only yielded 5 birdies all day from 156 players !!!

nice link to hole scoring ( will change tomorrow ) :

http://scoring.opengolf.com/holeaverage ... &optsel=ha

anyways, i plan to be in the pub from mid-day 'til 7:30 tomorrow, so i'll give you an update when i get back !

Comment

congrats to padraig

the journeyman accountant won !

he is a trained accountant & i think that training helped keem him cool thruout

he also described himself as a journeyman in the past & did so again immediate post-finish interview

i hoped to be a good journeyman when i turned pro & i put in a lot of hard work
                he also has a few other things going for him :

- he hits it sneaky long

- he has a scrambling ability probably 2nd to none amongst euros - the number of times i've seen him having to chip from some greenside rough or way from the green & save par/make birdie on a par 5, are countless - i just put it down the 1st coupla dozen times i saw it to being a "lucky sob" but eventually it dawned on me that he actually is quite good at this

he seems to have some incredible luck :

- beat sergio in play-off today ( ok he was pretty much dominating the play-off, so not much luck involved there )

- beat tiger in a play-off late last year in japan

- beat vijay in a play-off for a win

- beat furyk on 72nd hole with a 72ft eagle

if there is " luck of the oirish" - he's got it

he's actually been runner up in the players's twice ( 5th major ) & shouda won 1 of them, so not always lucky

he's only 35y & got more big wins in him - another coupla majors in his career aren't beyond him - he can contend in all majors for another 5y

Comment

'twas a major no one really wanted to win :

- sergio threw it away initially

- romero threw it away next

- padraig threw it away after

- sergio threw it away again ?!

Comment

sergio

in retrospect, losing a 6 shot lead overnight is the worst collapse since the shark lost a 6 shot lead to faldo in '96 masters - saddest sight i have ever probably seen in sport

i must say, seeing seeing the biggest "wanker" in sport lose a 6 shot-lead today, doesn't make me feel sad

he couda won a major aged 19y when he hounded tiger to the end in '99 pga & is firmly, now,

"best player never to have won a major"

Comment

worh noting that next year is played on finest championship course in england

last played in '98, tiger tied-lead after 1st round wth 65 ( along with john huston ) aged 22y ( in position to be 2nd youngest champ in tourney that century after seve ) - but got blown away in 3rd round by huge wnd/rain with a 77

he picked himself up on "calm" last day to blast a 66 & finish 1 off the o'meara/watts play-off

birkdale

is a "banger's course" with no bad weather

that coud finally be a tiger/lefty/enie/vijay shootout next year

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                        he couda won a major aged 19y when he hounded tiger to the end in '99 pga & is firmly, now,

"best player never to have won a major"
                        No.

Historically, among players still active, it would still be Colin Montgomery, whose career has been very impressive with 6 straight Order of Merit titles, although he is probably of historical interest only, since 2006 Winged Foot was likely his last shot at a major.

But currently, the BPNTHWAM is almost certainly Adam Scott. He has won The Players, however, which many players consider the equivalent of a major. He's a far more impressive player than Sergio.

Comment

lorena dominates 1st day of women's tourney at st andrews :

http://info.lgu.org/tic/tmlsmon.cgi?tourn=WBO7

i watched it on tv & she played absolutely beautifully - it was like tiger playing the venerable old course

she showed why she is world number 1

tourneys aren't won on 1st day, but it will take a miracle for someone to beat her from here

she'll be collecting her 1st major on sunday & it will be at the greatest occasion in the history of the touney - 1st time it's ever been played at st andrews

if you have the time, tune in & watch some of it - there is nothing more awe-inspiring in the sport than to see elite players playing over the most sacred turf in the sport

Comment

odds going into final round :

Ochoa, Lorena 1/66
                            Sorenstam, Annika 20/1
                            Lee, Jee-Young 33/1
                            Wessberg, Linda 40/1
                            Hjorth, Maria 66/1
                            Icher, Karine 66/1

she has played this tourney like tiger does here

she is clearly number 1 & she plays a "man's game" ( which i never thought annika ever did, even at her peak ) - that's not meant to be an insult, but she powers it off the tee like a howitzer ( man swing ), good irons, good short game & a wonderful putter

i really do expect her to pick up 6 or 7 majors in next 3 or 4y

Comment

congrats to lorena

there'll be plenty more of these down the years

Comment

congrats to tiger

made some history - 1st time anyone has won an event 3 times in a row on 2 occasions

he's now won this event 6 times - same as the other world golf strokeplay event

there's a not very well known record in his sites within next few years ( although it will become more well known ) : from wiki :

Sam Snead in 1938, won the Greater Greensboro Open, which he proceeded to win eight times, the Tour record for victories at an event, concluding in 1965 at the age of 52, making him the oldest player to win a PGA Tour event

Comment

Working...
                                X