Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Bizarre Thing You Ever Saw in Sport?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no recollection of the Peters marathon, but I was at the US-USSR meet in Philly in 1959, and Soth's running backward (though facing forward) was certainly as bizarre (and frightening) as anything I've ever seen in T&F.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
      There have been more than a few collapses near the end of a race
      And of course we just celebrated the 25th anniversary of the most spectacular crash and burn EVER, Julie Moss's bowel-control-losing, crawling finish in the Ironman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVKqFAPd ... ed&search=

still breaks my heart to watch it.

Comment

Some freaking nut dressed like a nun from hell running on to the course and grabbing the leader of the 2004 Olympic marathon. If i had the power to make this loser explode into little pieces of twisted and demented crap............i would. :twisted:

A pro boxer eating the other pro boxer is highly unusual.
        phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
          Some freaking nut dressed like a nun from hell running on to the course and grabbing the leader of the 2004 Olympic marathon. If i had the power to make this loser explode into little pieces of twisted and demented crap............i would. :twisted:

I once saw a guy running a marathon with his tongue stuck to the inside of his mouth.

But maybe I just dreamt that. :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by mojo

I once saw a guy running a marathon with his tongue stuck to the inside of his mouth.

But maybe I just dreamt that. :shock:
            That marathon runner didn't hydrate and deserved to die a slow horrible death. Its just like the child who eats too many marbles doesn't get to pro-create.
            phsstt!

Comment

National Horse Show Nov 196 0, Madison Square Garden (50 St Version) during a jump off for the International Goodwill Show Jumping Trophy at the National Horse Show in NY a horse fell and broke his neck. Trail Guide with Frank Chapot riding was finishing his run with a three fence combo on the 50th street side, Trail Guide got caught long at the third and hit the poles with his knees going up and nose dived over the barrier Capot getting tossed and rolling forward. Sitting on that side of the Garden even 20 rows up you actually heard Trail Guides neck snap . Within a minute the Garden goes black, all the lights out , black except what crept in through the vomitoriums. Oh ! the lights on the musicians stands of the orchestra (Eddie/Peter Duchin/ Lester Lanin?) dim yellow. They begin to play some light tunes. Meanwhile the crowd sits quietly in its seats, about 25 minutes later the lights go up, Trail Guide gone, they break down the jumps and jeep them out. The show goes on.
              The audience didn't get panicky, loud ,grumble, fuss or what not it ... just sat in (stunned?) silence at what had happened . ...........while the band played on.

I doubt that calm could happen in any arena today.
              Tom Hyland:
              "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

That marathon runner didn't hydrate and deserved to die a slow horrible death. Its just like the child who eats too many marbles doesn't get to pro-create.
                Somehow he managed to survive but is severely brain damaged. :cry:

Comment

Weirdest...

Given the wrong meet times, two U.S. sprinters fail to board bus on time f/ 100 meter men's finals in Munich in 1972 (Gerald Tinker and Eddie Hart?)

Hart exacted his "revenge" during the 4 by 100 when he put a serious hook in Borzov's back.

BCB

Comment

2 historic golf self-scorinjg goofs:

Jackie Pung losing the US Open as she signed an incorrect ( lower) scorecard... she was DQd. She woulf have won even with the correct higher score.

Rberto Deviscenzo losing a tie ( which would have brought a playoff with Bob Goalby) as he signed an incorrect ( 1 higher) scorecard.. and he had to stay with that higher score... he lost by 1 stroke.

I would love to hear some bizarre golf stories from bambam.

Comment

Odd

Mike Curtis during a Colts' exhibition game, and Dick Butkus during a real one, leveling fans who ran onto the field. I believe in the Colts game, the fan had grabbed the ball after the official had placed it for the center snap. Curtis, a MLB, said "My job is to stop anyone running with the ball".

As you might imagine, both fans got waylaid.

BCB

Comment

Re: Odd

Originally posted by bijanc
                        Mike Curtis during a Colts' exhibition game, and Dick Butkus during a real one, leveling fans who ran onto the field.

BCB
                        Come to think of it, most of the weirdness from sporting events seems to have been caused by spectators: the father and son team attacking the first base ump at Comiskey Park, soccer fan riots, etc.

Neal Horan, the fellow that Squack mentioned earlier also ran in front of a speeding race car in the 2003 British Grand Prix. :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_Horan

Golf weirdness includes TC Chen's 1985 US Open where he managed a rare double-eagle as well as later receiving a penalty for double hitting a chip shot.

cman

Comment

Re: Weirdest...

Originally posted by bijanc
                          Given the wrong meet times, two U.S. sprinters fail to board bus on time f/ 100 meter men's finals in Munich in 1972 (Gerald Tinker and Eddie Hart?)

Hart exacted his "revenge" during the 4 by 100 when he put a serious hook in Borzov's back.

BCB
                          No, no and no!
                          They were not GIVEN the wrong times. The US coaching staff went by an old schedule that had long since been updated, something the rest of the world knew.
                          The US sprinters Eddie Hart and Rey Robinson failed to appear for the second round , not the final.
                          In the relay, Borzov got the stick about four yards behind Hart and made no serious attempt to run him downn, but make no mistake, Borzov was clearly the world's no1 at the time.

Believe me, on this board, we have been over this more times than you would think possible.

Comment

I just can not imagine being at the Olympic Games and not triple checing my event times ,chec in times etc.. Athletes, coachs and team managers it still boggles my mind. that not one person involved double checed the times .
                            Tom Hyland:
                            "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Anyone remember the golf shot from a tree? I think it was Tom Watson in the British open. Bambam or eldrick should know.

Comment

Re: Weirdest...

Originally posted by Per Andersen
                                In the relay, Borzov got the stick about four yards behind Hart and made no serious attempt to run him.
                                That's a joke, right? That is a stinging insult to Borzov AND Hart. Borzov was NOT faster than Hart, which is why he didn't catch Hart in the relay, but he did have a better start and 'probably' (I'd say 60% chance) would have won the 100 with Hart in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X