Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Bizarre Thing You Ever Saw in Sport?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Richardson
    replied
    I recall watching a track meet on TV, back in the early to mid 1970's, run in Madison Square Garden. They were covering the womens mile relay. On the final leg, two women were running very closely, well out in front of the other team or two. As MSG had a small track, the two "ladies" got a bit physical in trying to take the fore. Bumping turned to shoving and eventually ended with the two of them stopping and whipping on each other with their batons. This lasted just long enough for the runner in third to pass them for the win.

I apologize for not having dates or meet names, but the memory of those two wailing away on one another wil last for a lifetime.

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• bijanc
    replied
    Weird

jhc68:

Great get on the '72 Oly hoops robbery. The Americans refused the silver medal.

But Munich was eerie from the onset- as posters over 45 will recall- boxers suffering highway robbery to judges (an American in the lighter classifications named Reggie Jones comes to mind), questionable gymnastics judging, a water polo fight (albeit not as bad as USSR-Hungary '56), the U.S. sprinters missing their heat, the Matthews/Collett shoeless protest, the phony marathoner entering the stadium first, and of course,The Black September.

I believe after the Games a U.S. swimmer (Melissa Belote) was stripped of some medal(s) for using a medical inhalant.

BCB

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    Did I miss it above or has no one mentioned the Munich 1972 Basketball finals where the entire world watched, dumbfounded, as the Soviet team was given three chances to win in the final seconds and then finally did sink the game winner after a blatant charging foul was ignored by the officials.

Wasn't it also Munich where the American vaulters had their poles confiscated and were obliged to use the same implements that eastern Europeans were accustomed to using?

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by mike renfro
    bizarreities (TOE, is that a word?)
    It is now!

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied
    I assumed that the thread meant things that were witnessed in person. I saw many of the mentioned bizarreities (TOE, is that a word?) on TV, but was not at the event. In my memory, the Colts game where Curtis drilled the interloper was regular season, but memory, in my case, is a sometimes thing. I'm pretty sure it was on national TV.

Most of the things I actually saw involved field event incidents. Several HT into the crowd, one DT taking a chunk out of a chick's arm (back to ring, talking to friends), broken PV poles (most memorable, Roberts at OT '76). Those suckers really make a lot of noise when they snap. Probably, the highest was at an all comers meet in Los Gatos several years ago. Oldfield was throwing, as well as his posse (I think Trafalis was there). They threw, and marked the throws. When they were done, they drew the the sector lines and measured. Wow, no out of sector throws.

I had a pretty good view of another bizarre play. HS football, we were down by 7, had just failed on 4th down, less than a minute. We came with an all out blitz. The outside linebacker got there first, hit the QB who was trying to us up all the clock. The ball was loose, so I grabbed it and took it in for the game tieing TD. Not so fast, my friend, missed the PAT, lost by one

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by dakota
    http://www.snopes.com/sports/soccer/barbados.asp
    You saw that game? If you didn't, I must say, I'm you're not the first poster on this thread to mention things they never saw. At least one mentioned things that never even happened!

But I do think we've gone astray here. The subject question asks about things you saw, not things you read about.

If you did see that Barbados-Grenada soccer game, I envy you--that must indeed have been an absolutely bizarre thing to sit and watch.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Bobby Knight.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Hard to beat this example.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Grenada then attempted to score on their own goal to prevent the match from going into overtime, but Barbados had already started defending Grenada's goal to prevent them from succeeding. The two teams then spent the remaining few minutes with Barbados defending both ends of the field as Grenada tried to put the ball into either goal, but time expired with the score still tied.
    That's hysterical - I would love to see video of that!!!

Leave a comment:

• dakota
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Re: Weirdest...

Originally posted by Per Andersen
    In the relay, Borzov got the stick about four yards behind Hart and made no serious attempt to run him.
    That's a joke, right? That is a stinging insult to Borzov AND Hart. Borzov was NOT faster than Hart, which is why he didn't catch Hart in the relay, but he did have a better start and 'probably' (I'd say 60% chance) would have won the 100 with Hart in it.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Anyone remember the golf shot from a tree? I think it was Tom Watson in the British open. Bambam or eldrick should know.

Leave a comment:

• wineturtle
    replied
    I just can not imagine being at the Olympic Games and not triple checing my event times ,chec in times etc.. Athletes, coachs and team managers it still boggles my mind. that not one person involved double checed the times .

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied
    Re: Weirdest...

Originally posted by bijanc
    Given the wrong meet times, two U.S. sprinters fail to board bus on time f/ 100 meter men's finals in Munich in 1972 (Gerald Tinker and Eddie Hart?)

Hart exacted his "revenge" during the 4 by 100 when he put a serious hook in Borzov's back.

BCB
    No, no and no!
    They were not GIVEN the wrong times. The US coaching staff went by an old schedule that had long since been updated, something the rest of the world knew.
    The US sprinters Eddie Hart and Rey Robinson failed to appear for the second round , not the final.
    In the relay, Borzov got the stick about four yards behind Hart and made no serious attempt to run him downn, but make no mistake, Borzov was clearly the world's no1 at the time.

Believe me, on this board, we have been over this more times than you would think possible.

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    Re: Odd

Originally posted by bijanc
    Mike Curtis during a Colts' exhibition game, and Dick Butkus during a real one, leveling fans who ran onto the field.

BCB
    Come to think of it, most of the weirdness from sporting events seems to have been caused by spectators: the father and son team attacking the first base ump at Comiskey Park, soccer fan riots, etc.

Neal Horan, the fellow that Squack mentioned earlier also ran in front of a speeding race car in the 2003 British Grand Prix. :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_Horan

Golf weirdness includes TC Chen's 1985 US Open where he managed a rare double-eagle as well as later receiving a penalty for double hitting a chip shot.

cman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X