Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Winter Olympics

Sochi Russia just beat out PyeongChang S. Korea and Salzburg Austria to host the 2014 Winter Olympics.

I actually had the live webcast of the announcement from Guatamala running in the background while I've been working this evening. How lame does that make me?

Official anouncement here.

Is there any snow in Sochi? Ice? Ever? Maybe Russia was awarded it because of its progressive politics, like Beijing in 2008.
    I remember Viktor Saneyev triple jumping there.

Comment

Re: 2014 Winter Olympics

Originally posted by BruceFlorman
      Sochi Russia just beat out PyeongChang S. Korea and Salzburg Austria to host the 2014 Winter Olympics.

I actually had the live webcast of the announcement from Guatamala running in the background while I've been working this evening. How lame does that make me?

Official anouncement here.
      Not very, I stayed up to watch the presentations etc on British Eurosport. I definitely win on the 'lame' front! :wink:

In fairness, I think the best city won. Sochi and Pyongchang gave the best presentations but Sochi was the most inspiring.

Salzburg sent me to sleep. They said a lot of the stadia had been already built and has been used but undoubtedly, they could hold a good Games but I thought part of the idea of having an Olympic Games was having brand new, breathtaking and original stadiums.
      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
        Is there any snow in Sochi? Ice? Ever? Maybe Russia was awarded it because of its progressive politics, like Beijing in 2008.
        Sochi is a sea town actually, but the mountains literally fall into the sea as they're like 10km away from the Black Sea shore.

Isn't Vancouver on the Ocean too?

Comment

Originally posted by midnightsun
          Sochi is a sea town actually, but the mountains literally fall into the sea as they're like 10km away from the Black Sea shore.

Well, I guess Vancouver is going to be using the Canadian Rockies for alpine. What they will be using for cross-country I don't know.

Comment

Well, I guess Vancouver is going to be using the Canadian Rockies for alpine. What they will be using for cross-country I don't know.
            I would guess they'll use the Coast Mountains. Much closer to Vancouver than the Rockies.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightsun

Vancouver is on the ocean, but the alpine stuff is all at Whistler, about 75M away, and I'd guess that's a good 50M from the ocean.

Comment

Actually, while Vancouver Island is on the ocean, the city of Vancouver is on the mainland, separated from the Island and the ocean by a strait.

Comment

First time ever I:ve heard President Putin speak english (RTR).

Comment

C'mon! Making a contiguous chunk of the water skinny doesn't suddenly remove it from being part of the ocean!

Comment

Vancouver is as much "on the ocean" as Baltimore.

Comment

very pleased for russia

the big, hungry bear needs feeding & this is a start - give them summer games soon, a world outdoors & a swimming champs

much better for us europeans if the bear is involved more closely with sport & has showcases on the world stage ( gives them slight incentive to behave )

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
                          Vancouver is as much "on the ocean" as Baltimore.
                          Never been to Baltimore, so can't speak to it with any authority, but Vancouver has more than 50% of its boundary on salt water, and when you look out west from the beach, there's nothing but water as far as you can see. Fits my definition of ocean quite nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            C'mon! Making a contiguous chunk of the water skinny doesn't suddenly remove it from being part of the ocean!
                            And therefore Minneapolis is on the Gulf of Mexico!

Comment

Minneapolis on fresh water.

Comment

Working...
                              X