Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Losing Billions In Tourist Dollars

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • U.S. Losing Billions In Tourist Dollars

    http://news.aol.com/story/_a/congress-l ... 07?cid=771

  • #2
    Re: U.S. Losing Billions In Tourist Dollars

    The United States has lost billions of dollars and an immeasurable amount of good will since the Sept. 11 terrorism attacks because of a decline in foreign tourists.

    Several senators are now trying to get the government involved in bringing those visitors back.
    The weak dollar will work wonders.

    Comment


    • #3
      This thread could easily degrade to political ranting. Suffice to say (for me) that I travel a lot and people I talk to outside the USA generally view the American government since 9/11 as inhospitable to visitors and irrational in foreign policy. Daisy is right, it is only the weak dollar and resultant bargain shopping that brings anyone here at all.

      Comment


      • #4
        From what I gather, one problem is that it is apparently harder to get a visa than it used to be, or at least it's perceived to be harder. I imagine some potential tourists don't even try, but instead just choose holiday destinations where the process is easier or where they don't need visas at all.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tandfman
          From what I gather, one problem is that it is apparently harder to get a visa than it used to be, or at least it's perceived to be harder. I imagine some potential tourists don't even try, but instead just choose holiday destinations where the process is easier or where they don't need visas at all.
          Some European countries that don't require visa from US visitors, but have to have them for the travel to US are particularly annoyed.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jhc68
            This thread could easily degrade to political ranting. Suffice to say (for me) that I travel a lot and people I talk to outside the USA generally view the American government since 9/11 as inhospitable to visitors and irrational in foreign policy. Daisy is right, it is only the weak dollar and resultant bargain shopping that brings anyone here at all.
            No political ranting possible here: morons on both sides of the aisle share the culpability for a national state of paranoia.

            Comment


            • #7
              US Visa Hassles

              The US consulate in Hong Kong allows only about 3 visitors to enter at a time. All others must queue outside in the street. The sun is hot out there at any time of year. I know of no other consulate in Hong Kong which does this.

              Quick Silver
              Hong Kong

              Comment


              • #8
                And that country that some Americans love to hate continues to lead the world.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_Rankings

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: US Visa Hassles

                  Originally posted by Quick Silver
                  The US consulate in Hong Kong allows only about 3 visitors to enter at a time. All others must queue outside in the street. The sun is hot out there at any time of year. I know of no other consulate in Hong Kong which does this.
                  Do you know of any other consulates that belong to countries whose embassies and consulates have been the subject of terrorist attacks and threats as often as those of the US have in recent years?

                  I'm not saying that their policy is necessary, only that it is, to me, understandable. And of course it is regrettable. As I said above, that sort of thing can't be good for tourism.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    What they say about customs is so true. My wife and I came back from Italy a few years ago and went through customs at ATL. We were laughing and having a good time as we walked with our bags. For no reason, we were picked out from the crowd to have our stuff inspected in a separate area. They dumped EVERYTHING out of our bags and out of my wife's purse -- and they were not nice about it. They counted all of our receipts and peppered us with many questions. I felt like saying "well, fuck you" after our receipts did not reflect purchases over the limit. They hassle us, but let Mohammad Atta slide right in. After they were done hassling us and putting a bit of a damper on our trip, they gave us a flyer published by the US government titled, "Why me?" (i.e. why was I picked out to be hassled.) It didn't give one decent explanation to why we were hassled like that.

                    Most of the customs and immigrations people I have met are complete pricks. Screw 'em.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      At the airport in Kansas City last week I saw a 3 or 4 year old boy in shorts and T-shirt standing on the footprints being wanded.. and frisked.. the little boy was laughing but it bothers me that the man doing the wanding apparently enjoys frisking four year old boys for no conceivable reason..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                        And that country that some Americans love to hate continues to lead the world.

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_Rankings

                        And the way the dollar is going, that won't change. Not so sure I would want to be breaking my arm patting my back about that one.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by lonewolf
                          At the airport in Kansas City last week I saw a 3 or 4 year old boy in shorts and T-shirt standing on the footprints being wanded.. and frisked.. the little boy was laughing but it bothers me that the man doing the wanding apparently enjoys frisking four year old boys for no conceivable reason..
                          Maybe--just maybe--the guy knows by now that most boys of a certain age think that being wanded and frisked is a giggle and he did it to add joy to an otherwise dreary day. Just a thought.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I hope you are right tandfman

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MJD
                              Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                              And that country that some Americans love to hate continues to lead the world.

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_Rankings

                              And the way the dollar is going, that won't change. Not so sure I would want to be breaking my arm patting my back about that one.
                              But if you look back to the beginning of the time that these tourism rankings have been in existence, they've been pretty much the same regardless of how weak or strong the dollar is.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X