Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of this, I read some comments recently from the Mexican national soccer team. Now, I realize that when the Iranian wrestling team comes to the US, we may need to look at them closely. But when the Mexican soccer team comes over wearing green blazers with the national emblem on the left chest, and we treat them "like criminals," as one of them said, this is not acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
      What they say about customs is so true. My wife and I came back from Italy a few years ago and went through customs at ATL. We were laughing and having a good time as we walked with our bags. For no reason, we were picked out from the crowd to have our stuff inspected in a separate area. They dumped EVERYTHING out of our bags and out of my wife's purse -- and they were not nice about it. They counted all of our receipts and peppered us with many questions. I felt like saying "well, fuck you" after our receipts did not reflect purchases over the limit. They hassle us, but let Mohammad Atta slide right in. After they were done hassling us and putting a bit of a damper on our trip, they gave us a flyer published by the US government titled, "Why me?" (i.e. why was I picked out to be hassled.) It didn't give one decent explanation to why we were hassled like that.

Most of the customs and immigrations people I have met are complete pricks. Screw 'em.
      I've had multiple experiences like that coming back into LAX over the last 20 years; they are rudist I've come across anywhere in the world. On one occasion an immigration agent gave me a lecture about living here for 10+ years and still having a green card while not becoming a US citizen. I was knackered and it took all my self control not to tell him to where to go.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
        Originally posted by MJD
        Originally posted by jazzcyclist
        And that country that some Americans love to hate continues to lead the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_Rankings

And the way the dollar is going, that won't change. Not so sure I would want to be breaking my arm patting my back about that one.
        But if you look back to the beginning of the time that these tourism rankings have been in existence, they've been pretty much the same regardless of how weak or strong the dollar is.
        Up 6.8% last year because of the dollar.

Comment

I had another "what the ?????" incident at Washington-Dulles airport security yesterday.
          I was not too upset when they confiscated a nearly full 11 oz can of shaving cream ,although it had been ignored at two previous screeings, but was flabbergasted when the officious young TSA man siezed a twisted, nearly depleted tube of toothpaste because it was labled 6.2 oz on the tube.. regulations, the man said..anything over 3.2 oz not allowed in passeger cabin.. I checkd two drugstores on way home from airport and cannot find a tube of toothplaces less than 4.6 ozs..

Comment

May I gently suggest checking bags?

Comment

Originally posted by gm
              And lose them?

Better to get some little clear containers and decant the stuff you need.

i have travelled recently with a two year old and the security was not too bad. They allowed me to take a drinking bottle of milk onto the plane. But, as lonewolf pointed out, the interpretation of the rules varies between different airports. The moral is to expect the worst, then you'll be happy when you get away with slightly less than the worse.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                I do check bags more these days than I used to but I am not comfortable checking expensive cameras, prescription medicine and confidential material in unlocked, or even locked, bags and, as long as you have a carry on, why not include a change of shorts and shaving kit.. sometimes checked baggage does not arrive at the intended time and place.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                  At the airport in Kansas City last week I saw a 3 or 4 year old boy in shorts and T-shirt standing on the footprints being wanded.. and frisked.. the little boy was laughing but it bothers me that the man doing the wanding apparently enjoys frisking four year old boys for no conceivable reason..
                  I have to use KCI several times a year and am depressed by it everytime!

Comment

I always cringe when I am routed throuigh KCI to anywhere...until recently, you had to go through security again if you were just going from one gate to the adjacent gate.. and there were no restrooms or services inside the waiting area.. that has improved slightly.. still no concessions but they have figured out to make a restroom available without going through security again..now you only have to go through security if you go from one concourse to another.. inside the same airport!!..
                    No airport is perfect but KCI is high on my least favorite list.. Dulles is toooo big, minimum1/2 to 3/4 mile walk from main terminal to any concourse gate, O'Hare is almost as bad..you don't have to go thru security once inside but , no matter where you are going, some evil genius has perfected the art of scheduling connecting gates at the far end of widely seperated concourses.
                    O'Hare does not have a monopoly on this.. Phoenix and Las Vegas are pretty good at making you take a hike too..
                    I like the Casper, Wyo airport... you walk in the front door, cross the 50' diameter lobby and out the back door to your plane...so what if you still have to climb stairs?

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                      Originally posted by tandfman
                      From what I gather, one problem is that it is apparently harder to get a visa than it used to be, or at least it's perceived to be harder. I imagine some potential tourists don't even try, but instead just choose holiday destinations where the process is easier or where they don't need visas at all.
                      Some European countries that don't require visa from US visitors, but have to have them for the travel to US are particularly annoyed.
                      i for one have been put off going to america thru all the hassle of getting a visa ( & britain is supposed to be america's closest ally ! )

i'd luv to go watch some golf over there - a USOpen or a USPGA ( not bothered with Masters as it's impossible to get a ticket ), but i'll probably wait until reciprocral waiving of visas with european countries comes in ( if ever ! )

Comment

The USA may be losing tourist $$$, but I'm bleeding $$$ out of every pore over here in GB, completely discombobulating the balance of trade for the next 200 years!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                          I always cringe when I am routed throuigh KCI to anywhere...until recently, you had to go through security again if you were just going from one gate to the adjacent gate.. and there were no restrooms or services inside the waiting area.. that has improved slightly.. still no concessions but they have figured out to make a restroom available without going through security again..now you only have to go through security if you go from one concourse to another.. inside the same airport!!..
                          No airport is perfect but KCI is high on my least favorite list.. Dulles is toooo big, minimum1/2 to 3/4 mile walk from main terminal to any concourse gate, O'Hare is almost as bad..you don't have to go thru security once inside but , no matter where you are going, some evil genius has perfected the art of scheduling connecting gates at the far end of widely seperated concourses.
                          O'Hare does not have a monopoly on this.. Phoenix and Las Vegas are pretty good at making you take a hike too..
                          I like the Casper, Wyo airport... you walk in the front door, cross the 50' diameter lobby and out the back door to your plane...so what if you still have to climb stairs?
                          KCI is a great example of enlightened pre-security airport design. It worked great in the day when you got out of the car on the curb, walked by the person taking your ticket and got on the plane. Sadly, those days are long gone. It´s fine if you´re simply flying out; not good if you´re changing planes. They´re working to get more restrooms inside the gate areas (there used to be none!). If you like small Wyo airports, try Sheridan...which I believe is still operating on a regular basis...

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                            The USA may be losing tourist $$$, but I'm bleeding $$$ out of every pore over here in GB, completely discombobulating the balance of trade for the next 200 years!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I feel sorry for your wife if this is all she is hearing.

:wink:

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                              The global economy thanks you! Stay dry!!

Comment

[quote="kuha
                                KCI is a great example of enlightened pre-security airport design. It worked great in the day when you got out of the car on the curb, walked by the person taking your ticket and got on the plane. Sadly, those days are long gone. It´s fine if you´re simply flying out; not good if you´re changing planes. They´re working to get more restrooms inside the gate areas (there used to be none!). If you like small Wyo airports, try Sheridan...which I believe is still operating on a regular basis...[/quote]

Or Great Falls, MT.. small circular lobby ringed with Chas Russel original oils hanging just above an eight foot wainscott.. not so charming was when it was the customs stop before entering Canada and customs inspections in all weather were conducted in an open shed on the tarmac.

Comment

Working...
                                X