• Show
Clear All

• gm
    replied
    May I gently suggest checking bags?

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I had another "what the ?????" incident at Washington-Dulles airport security yesterday.
    I was not too upset when they confiscated a nearly full 11 oz can of shaving cream ,although it had been ignored at two previous screeings, but was flabbergasted when the officious young TSA man siezed a twisted, nearly depleted tube of toothpaste because it was labled 6.2 oz on the tube.. regulations, the man said..anything over 3.2 oz not allowed in passeger cabin.. I checkd two drugstores on way home from airport and cannot find a tube of toothplaces less than 4.6 ozs..

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    Originally posted by MJD
    And that country that some Americans love to hate continues to lead the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_Rankings

And the way the dollar is going, that won't change. Not so sure I would want to be breaking my arm patting my back about that one.
    But if you look back to the beginning of the time that these tourism rankings have been in existence, they've been pretty much the same regardless of how weak or strong the dollar is.
    Up 6.8% last year because of the dollar.

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied
    Originally posted by BillVol
    What they say about customs is so true. My wife and I came back from Italy a few years ago and went through customs at ATL. We were laughing and having a good time as we walked with our bags. For no reason, we were picked out from the crowd to have our stuff inspected in a separate area. They dumped EVERYTHING out of our bags and out of my wife's purse -- and they were not nice about it. They counted all of our receipts and peppered us with many questions. I felt like saying "well, fuck you" after our receipts did not reflect purchases over the limit. They hassle us, but let Mohammad Atta slide right in. After they were done hassling us and putting a bit of a damper on our trip, they gave us a flyer published by the US government titled, "Why me?" (i.e. why was I picked out to be hassled.) It didn't give one decent explanation to why we were hassled like that.

Most of the customs and immigrations people I have met are complete pricks. Screw 'em.
    I've had multiple experiences like that coming back into LAX over the last 20 years; they are rudist I've come across anywhere in the world. On one occasion an immigration agent gave me a lecture about living here for 10+ years and still having a green card while not becoming a US citizen. I was knackered and it took all my self control not to tell him to where to go.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Speaking of this, I read some comments recently from the Mexican national soccer team. Now, I realize that when the Iranian wrestling team comes to the US, we may need to look at them closely. But when the Mexican soccer team comes over wearing green blazers with the national emblem on the left chest, and we treat them "like criminals," as one of them said, this is not acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by MJD

And the way the dollar is going, that won't change. Not so sure I would want to be breaking my arm patting my back about that one.
    But if you look back to the beginning of the time that these tourism rankings have been in existence, they've been pretty much the same regardless of how weak or strong the dollar is.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I hope you are right tandfman

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    At the airport in Kansas City last week I saw a 3 or 4 year old boy in shorts and T-shirt standing on the footprints being wanded.. and frisked.. the little boy was laughing but it bothers me that the man doing the wanding apparently enjoys frisking four year old boys for no conceivable reason..
    Maybe--just maybe--the guy knows by now that most boys of a certain age think that being wanded and frisked is a giggle and he did it to add joy to an otherwise dreary day. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    At the airport in Kansas City last week I saw a 3 or 4 year old boy in shorts and T-shirt standing on the footprints being wanded.. and frisked.. the little boy was laughing but it bothers me that the man doing the wanding apparently enjoys frisking four year old boys for no conceivable reason..

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    What they say about customs is so true. My wife and I came back from Italy a few years ago and went through customs at ATL. We were laughing and having a good time as we walked with our bags. For no reason, we were picked out from the crowd to have our stuff inspected in a separate area. They dumped EVERYTHING out of our bags and out of my wife's purse -- and they were not nice about it. They counted all of our receipts and peppered us with many questions. I felt like saying "well, fuck you" after our receipts did not reflect purchases over the limit. They hassle us, but let Mohammad Atta slide right in. After they were done hassling us and putting a bit of a damper on our trip, they gave us a flyer published by the US government titled, "Why me?" (i.e. why was I picked out to be hassled.) It didn't give one decent explanation to why we were hassled like that.

Most of the customs and immigrations people I have met are complete pricks. Screw 'em.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Re: US Visa Hassles

Originally posted by Quick Silver
    The US consulate in Hong Kong allows only about 3 visitors to enter at a time. All others must queue outside in the street. The sun is hot out there at any time of year. I know of no other consulate in Hong Kong which does this.
    Do you know of any other consulates that belong to countries whose embassies and consulates have been the subject of terrorist attacks and threats as often as those of the US have in recent years?

I'm not saying that their policy is necessary, only that it is, to me, understandable. And of course it is regrettable. As I said above, that sort of thing can't be good for tourism.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Quick Silver
    replied
    US Visa Hassles

The US consulate in Hong Kong allows only about 3 visitors to enter at a time. All others must queue outside in the street. The sun is hot out there at any time of year. I know of no other consulate in Hong Kong which does this.

Quick Silver
    Hong Kong

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by jhc68
    This thread could easily degrade to political ranting. Suffice to say (for me) that I travel a lot and people I talk to outside the USA generally view the American government since 9/11 as inhospitable to visitors and irrational in foreign policy. Daisy is right, it is only the weak dollar and resultant bargain shopping that brings anyone here at all.
    No political ranting possible here: morons on both sides of the aisle share the culpability for a national state of paranoia.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X