Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feline can predict death better than nursing home workers

Changes the lyric- " I aint superstious but a nursing home cat just crossed my path". I' ve seen this cat many times on the last straight away.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070725/ap_ ... /death_cat
    phsstt!

I was going to post that too. Pretty amazing stuff.

Comment

No offense to Oscar, but I think he's just being a typical housecat. Having lived with cats for many years, this struck me as the salient fact:

"...it's also possible his behavior could be driven by self-centered pleasures like a heated blanket placed on a dying person, Dodman said."

Every cat I have ever known would be drawn to a person who (a) is lying still and quiet, and (b) who has a warm blanket on him/her!

Comment

Maybe the cat is actually killing the people... you know, like they do by sucking the air out of babies?

Comment

A goofy ex-housemate of mine insisted her cat could tell when she was ill and not feeling well and would come and comfort her. "Ahhh, yeah....the old 'Remote Feline Pathogen Detection'" crooned a very skeptical friend of mine. I subscribe to the "most cats will cuddle up to any warm body lying on the bed" theory myself.

Comment

It's smell. Dogs can smell lung cancer too.

I have no idea how I know that.

Justin

Comment

OK, cats, illness, lung cancer...I've got to share this one.

I was an intern and a guy was transferred in to our hospital from a small, outlying town for a bronchoscopy (a fiberoptic scope exam of the the airways/lungs) becasue he had a mass on chest xray. He was a quadriplegic from an accident. While taking the history, I asked him, "Have you coughed up any blood?"

Patient:"No blood, but a few weeks ago I coughed up something that looked like a piece of bacon."

DrJay:"Really! Did you get it taken into the clinc for pathology?"

Patient:"No. I coughed it onto the floor and before I could get someone to come pick it up, the cat ate it."

(I don't recall whether he ended up with a cancer or a benign diagnosis.)

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Clouder
                It's smell. Dogs can smell lung cancer too.

I have no idea how I know that.

Justin
                They do :shock: :roll: :wink: ?
                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

See, I didn't just make it up:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 002944.htm

Quote: "In this study which will be published in the March 2006 issue of the journal Integrative Cancer Therapies published by SAGE Publications, researchers reveal scientific evidence that a dog's extraordinary scenting ability can distinguish people with both early and late stage lung and breast cancers from healthy controls"

Googling "dog smell lung cancer" also reveals a NY Times article with along url...

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Clouder
                    See, I didn't just make it up:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 002944.htm

Quote: "In this study which will be published in the March 2006 issue of the journal Integrative Cancer Therapies published by SAGE Publications, researchers reveal scientific evidence that a dog's extraordinary scenting ability can distinguish people with both early and late stage lung and breast cancers from healthy controls"

Googling "dog smell lung cancer" also reveals a NY Times article with along url...

Justin
                    HMO directors must love it. Instead of expensive imaging, they'll just have you sniffed by a dog. Awesome!
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                      OK, cats, illness, lung cancer...I've got to share this one.

I was an intern and a guy was transferred in to our hospital from a small, outlying town for a bronchoscopy (a fiberoptic scope exam of the the airways/lungs) becasue he had a mass on chest xray. He was a quadriplegic from an accident. While taking the history, I asked him, "Have you coughed up any blood?"

Patient:"No blood, but a few weeks ago I coughed up something that looked like a piece of bacon."

DrJay:"Really! Did you get it taken into the clinc for pathology?"

Patient:"No. I coughed it onto the floor and before I could get someone to come pick it up, the cat ate it."

(I don't recall whether he ended up with a cancer or a benign diagnosis.)
                      musta been a semi-remembered peanut that went "down the wrong way" from few years ago

Comment

On a related note, I have this special gift with my cat Felix. I know when he's hungry. Yeah i know it sounds far fetched but its true. Every mornin around 6 am he steps on my head as i sleep and he also cries. BINGO!
                        phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                          Every mornin around 6 am he steps on my head as i sleep and he also cries.
                          Sound like a good reason not to have a cat!

Comment

There are no good reasons not to have a cat. Cats are wonderful and perfect in all ways. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain weird. Or a dog. Frankly, people who don't like cats can't be trusted to be let out on their own in the community.

Justin

Comment

I love Felix. He is pretty user friendly, all in all.
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X