• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pego
    replied
    [quote=bad hammy]
    Originally posted by Pego
    Originally posted by "bad hammy":30r4nloc
    I'm checking with a wine guy here to see if he can score some.
    That'd be cool, but I doubt it. They consume everything domestically, there is nothing left for export.
    This from my wine guy: "I'll check on tuesday (my monday). I have a source for central european wines, who carries wines from slovenia, croatia and hungary, so I may be of some help......"[/quote:30r4nloc]

Yep, those you see. Bulgaria and Romania, too. No Slovakia, though.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    That'd be cool, but I doubt it. They consume everything domestically, there is nothing left for export.
    This from my wine guy: "I'll check on tuesday (my monday). I have a source for central european wines, who carries wines from slovenia, croatia and hungary, so I may be of some help......"

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooter Brown
    Never trust the man that prefers wine to beer.
    Some of us are equal opportunity drinkers :wink: .

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    Never trust the man that prefers wine to beer.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Croatia doesn't need to steal your Frankovka; w/ Mali Plavac (the mother of Zinfandel), it doesn't need any other grapes.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

As far as GH's reference to Croatia is concerned, that surprises me. I was uder impression that it is a very specific grape just to that region. I was wrong, I guess. Not the first time, that happened ops: .

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I did a (very) quick google on Frankovka and nearly all the references refer to it as a Croatian wine (meaning merely that the varietal grows well there too, of course). But didn't find any importers.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    My all-time favorite red, Frankovka from the Lesser Carpathian Mountains.

http://curezone.com/ig/i.asp?i=9719
    Doesn't it stand to reason that there must be an even better version in the Greater Carpathian Mountains? :-)
    No doubt, if such an entity existed .

If you look at the borderland between Czech Republic and Slovakia along the river Morava, the Carpathian Mountains would be "Lesser" further south, "White" further north. There is several wines produced along the way. Some, especially further north are quite dry.
    Alas, I've never seen Frankovka available in the States.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Maybe try this:
    Pesquera is very good, but it's pure Tempranillo. You want Merlot? Try this:

Trust me, I'm good for whatever someone else is paying for!!

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Maybe try this:
    Pesquera is very good, but it's pure Tempranillo. You want Merlot? Try this:

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    OK, taking off the wine snob hat here for a minute . . .
    And to go down this road even further . . .

A perfectly acceptable daily drinker is Trader Joe's Two Buck Chuck. (For those not familiar with this, a drinkable wine at two bucks a bottle sold exclusively through Trader Joes.) Our current routine ('cause we ain't exactly made of money) is to have a bottle of Two Buck Chuck two or three nights a week, a mid-priced ($10-15) bottle two or three nights a week (McMannis is our current fave in this range), and then splurge with something out of our real stash on weekends.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Doesn't it stand to reason that there must be an even better version in the Greater Carpathian Mountains? :-)

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I'll let you know if I find any in Napa or Sonoma this weekend. :-)
    We've been doing most of our wine tasting/buying more locally these days, in Livermore and the Santa Cruz mountains. The wines in the affordable range (under $50) are just as good (if not better) and everything else is much less expensive and crowded to deal with.

The other wine I mentioned above, the R&B Cab, is actually sold out of a beautiful old victorian in Alameda (grapes from Napa, produced in Sonoma). I had some at a charity event a couple of weeks ago and it is most excellent.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X