X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most sacred record in sport, epilogue

In 2004, we had a fun time with this topic:

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... ght=sacred

For me, even though I love T&F and only vaguely follow baseball these days, the career HR record has been the most sacred in sport. It's sad to see it fall like this. It feels like a small part of my childhood has been torn from me. I'm actually glad I don't care about baseball anymore. Maybe Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak will take over the "most sacred" title in my mind. In five minutes, I'll be seeing patients and won't give * another thought. Have a nice day.

Re: Most sacred record in sport, epilogue

Originally posted by DrJay
    Maybe Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak will take over the "most sacred" title in my mind.
    I agree with all you say, esp. this part.

Comment

In five minutes, I'll be seeing patients and won't give * another thought. Have a nice day.
      Do you ever talk track and field with your patients?

My neighbor (an MD) hates sports but watches them on TV so he has some thing to chit chat about.

My doc has the same last name and he always talks about genealogy when I go to see him.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
        In five minutes, I'll be seeing patients and won't give * another thought. Have a nice day.
        8:30 patient not here yet.

I've got a couple of assistant HS track coaches I see and we'll chat about it a bit if there's time. One of them has a son who ran something like 2:20 for 800 in 7th grade. I also see a Dutch guy who's in his 70s who did some club running in his youth. His son's a 400m runner for an ACC school. He told me once he has some super-8 type film he shot of Zatopek racing. Next time I see him I think I'll offer to pay the cost in exchange for a copy if he wants to have that converted to DVD .

Comment

Next time I see him I think I'll offer to pay the cost in exchange for a copy if he wants to have that converted to DVD .
          Do it!!!

Comment

I talk track with my dental hygienist, Lester. He was a sprinter in high school and used to go to local meets of note. Yesterday I go in to get my teeth cleaned and while in the waiting room before hand come across this great photo in a recent Sports Illustrated of the javelinated Italian long jumper at the moment of impact. I took that in and Lester and I chatted about it for a minute or three. Of course once he starts to work my end of the conversation gets a bit wonky . . . .

Comment

Bubka over 20'
              Sotomayer over 8'
              El G's 3:43.13
              or Sebrle's 9026

Are the ones I value the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Jnathletics
                Bubka over 20'
                Sotomayer over 8'
                El G's 3:43.13
                or Sebrle's 9026

Are the ones I value the most.
                I'm with you. There are too many variables in the ball sports for any of the records to be sacred. Football and basketball are constantly fiddling with their rules and court and field markings. Baseball doesn't fiddle with the rules as much, but today's players do play with a lower pitcher's mound and half the teams have used a DH for the last 30+ years. But the most glaring problem with baseball, is the many different dimensions and shapes of the stadiums.

Comment

Of course T&F fiddles now and again also. Didn't we recently shorten the pegs on the PV standards??

Comment

Baseball seems to be the only sport, outside of cricket, with such an emphasis on individual records. My conjecture is that the season is so long and boring, like county cricket, that there is nothing for sports writers to comment on.

At least before we had pennant races. But now?

Somehow, 'the Giants win the Wild Card, the Giants win the Wild Card!!!' doesn't quite cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                      Somehow, 'the Giants win the Wild Card, the Giants win the Wild Card!!!' doesn't quite cut it.
                      We would gladly take that this year . . . ops:

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                        Baseball seems to be the only sport, outside of cricket, with such an emphasis on individual records.
                        You mean team sport here I assume.

Even then i'm not sure that is true. it seems that American football is always talking about individual records.

Comment

Even then i'm not sure that is true. it seems that American football is always talking about individual records.
                          Football is much more of a team sport than baseball, and I think that this has to do with why individual records seem be more ingrained in baseball.

Who played the most consecutive games in NFL history, and how many? Baseball??

Who threw the most touchdowns in NFL history, and how many?? Wins for pitchers in baseball??

Who scored the most touchdowns in NFL history, and how many?? Home runs in baseball??

Personally I can answer all six of the baseball answers, but only two of the football ones.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                            Personally I can answer all six of the baseball answers, but only two of the football ones.
                            But could you say the same of football fans? I don't know the answer, I just know I keep reading about individual stats in the paper.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                              But could you say the same of football fans? I don't know the answer, I just know I keep reading about individual stats in the paper.
                              I am a football fan - those numbers just don't stick as much.

Comment

Working...
                              X