Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Obit & Front Page Posts

European Champion, Olympic medalist, winner of Boston, Fukuoka, and other marathons back in the '50's.

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=40123.html

On our front page 5 days ago.

Comment

I knew it was last week's news, so I searched the Board before I posted it and found nothing. I'd say "oops!" about the posting, except that (a) putting it on the Board gets picked up by future searches, which doesn't happen if it's just on the home page, and (b) if I missed it on the front page, someone else probably did too--that can happen, even if you do look at the front page whenever you visit the site (which I do).

Nonetheless, your point is well taken. If I had noticed it on the front page, I might have created the thread then. And if I had known it was once on the front page when I created the thread this morning, I would have referred to that fact.

Comment

Nice obit in today's NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/08/sport ... obituaries

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          I knew it was last week's news, so I searched the Board before I posted it and found nothing. I'd say "oops!" about the posting, except that (a) putting it on the Board gets picked up by future searches, which doesn't happen if it's just on the home page, and (b) if I missed it on the front page, someone else probably did too--that can happen, even if you do look at the front page whenever you visit the site (which I do).
          Since we all seem to be telling Garry how to run things this week, I’ll add on here and indicate that all posts that say ‘story on the front page’ without a link cause longer-term problems such as tandfman mentions. Searches become problematic, and it becomes tough to track things down if you come across the thread weeks or months later.

Comment

Are you telling gh that he should post a link on the Board for every item he puts on the home page? I hope not. I suspect he has no more spare time on his hands to do that than you or I. Anyone could do it, but we don't because it's time-consuming and probably not worth it in most cases. If you had the power to insist that he do it as part of the routine operation of the site (which you don't), I'm afraid he'd just cut back sharply on the number of things he posts on the home page. And nobody would like that.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
              Are you telling gh that he should post a link on the Board for every item he puts on the home page? I hope not.
              Not at all - sorry for the confusion. My point is that if someone has gone already done the work to mention in a thread that a story is on the main page (which Garry does semi-regulalry), it is very little additional work to add the link at the same time. That's all . . .

Comment

Somebody among you will surely figure this out.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  I'm guessing that there is an incentive (probably financial) for generating hits on the home page. If so, fair enough, but when done in this way it does cause some problems when threads start to age, that's all.

I'll develop a little program to keep hitting your home page if that helps . . . :wink:

Comment

That's a part of the equation. Front-page traffic is certainly good.

The rest is that I get up at 05:30 every morning (literally 7 days a week, no matter what) so I can get those Headlines filled up. And--unlike just about any other site you can name--we keep them updated close to 18 hours a day.

If I keep getting signs that nobody gives a rat's ass, we will just consider killing the feature. But for now, I use the carrot rather thant he stick, pointing out, as often as possible, that the story is already there.

It's only good business to try to get people to depend on a valuable feature. This is a business we're (trying to) running here, not some mission for the indigent.

Comment

I actually have the front page bookmarked so I can see the headlines first. Then I click the link to the discussion boards on the left menu. It's worth it.

Comment

I do the same thing. The T&FN home page is bookmarked, and so I never go right to the message boards without looking at the home page.

Comment

Ditto as the two above posts.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            If I keep getting signs that nobody gives a rat's ass, we will just consider killing the feature.
                            For MOST 'real fans', the front page is an indispensable resource, so I don't think there's any question as to its efficacy.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              You may be giving us more credit than we deserve.

Comment

Working...
                              X