Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europe boycotting Olympics?

Story on front page.

Gordon Brown has been urged to start a Europe-wide debate on whether athletes should boycott the Beijing Olympics......

Senior Tory MEP Edward McMillan-Scott claimed there was evidence of "persecution and genocide" in China and said EU countries should consider pulling out of the Games.
    Genocide??? This seems to be an extreme interpretation, or am I missing something here? Surely this has no legs.

edit, OK I now see this in reference to Darfur and China's investment in Sudanese oil fields. Seems to be a weak link considering some of the foreign policies from other world players.

Re: Europe boycotting Olympics?

Yes, in their own peculiar and dictatorial way, genocide. The Chi-coms murder those of their own who "threaten" the party. Suggested reading at http://www.newsmax.com/archives/article ... 2829.shtml

Does anyone else here remember Tianamen Square in June '89? I, for one, will be boycotting the OG's in '08.

Originally posted by Daisy
    Story on front page.

Gordon Brown has been urged to start a Europe-wide debate on whether athletes should boycott the Beijing Olympics......

Senior Tory MEP Edward McMillan-Scott claimed there was evidence of "persecution and genocide" in China and said EU countries should consider pulling out of the Games.
    Genocide??? This seems to be an extreme interpretation, or am I missing something here? Surely this has no legs.

edit, OK I now see this in reference to Darfur and China's investment in Sudanese oil fields. Seems to be a weak link considering some of the foreign policies from other world players.

Comment

i'd boycott it more on the grounds my constititution coudn't take chinese food, morning, noon & night for 2/52 :P

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Francis
        Yes, in their own peculiar and dictatorial way, genocide.
        This MP is after them for Darfur. Can the chinese really be accused of genocide in that case? I'm not trying to trivialise other human rights abuse in China but this is a little like getting Capone on tax evasion.

Comment

There will never be an Olympics that isnt boycottable by someone. I thought the whole point of the Olympics is every 4 years the world sets aside its problems, fears and hatreds for 2 weeks and competes in the original goodwill games. When the 2 weeks is over we can all go back to doin whatever we got to do and do it everyday for 4 years. Isnt that enough?

There are plenty of countries who hate the U.S but i hope the wont boycott our next games.
          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            I thought the whole point of the Olympics is every 4 years the world sets aside its problems, fears and hatreds for 1 week and competes in the original goodwill games.
            I hope the one week you're referring to is the second week of the Games, which is when T&F competition takes place. They can boycott the first week if they so desire :twisted:
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
              Originally posted by SQUACKEE
              I thought the whole point of the Olympics is every 4 years the world sets aside its problems, fears and hatreds for 1 week and competes in the original goodwill games.
              I hope the one week you're referring to is the second week of the Games, which is when T&F competition takes place. They can boycott the first week if they so desire :twisted:
              ops: more coffee
              phsstt!

Comment

Thank God for the World Championships.
                Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Here we go again.

The Russians,the USA and the Africans might just be first in line for being booted out of the Olympics, and should not be allowed to hold major international sportfests, if some ethical consistency was applied to the question of acceptable state foreign and domestic behaviour.

Moralising postures are hypocritical in the extreme.

Russia and the Winter Olympics in a few years time, in Sochi; South Africa and the World Soccer cup next time round. Deary me those were slip ups by the IOC and FIFA.

If the Chinese are guilty of the crimes suggested, as charged, which they are by Western liberal or any fairly normal ethical standards, we better stop most African countries from taking part in the Olympics. Lets not forget a number of Middle East corrupt dictatorships. We better take a close look at both left and right wing Governments in Central and South America. Not forgetting the good old USA which barges into other countries as it pleases, on a so called saving the world from terrorism mission, followed closely by the supine hypocrite, Tony Blair .

From the days of Berlin 1936 and Russia 1980, to name but two appalling regimes, the Olympics ,as somebody said, have always ignored the international community, every other government, body,pressure group,etc and held the Olympics and they will continue to do so., as a few billions watch their sports people winning medals There are those in this world, I presume, in many millions who no doubt think that LA1984 should not have been permitted

Forget boycotts, which achieve sweet FA, and remember and castigate all the lousy regimes that hold them and attend them for the remaining 3 years and fifty weeks..

Comment

Seems rather odd for Gordon Brown of all people -- he's the new British Prime Minister -- to be bringing this up now. With London hosting in '12, couldn't he anticipate some blowback affecting his own Games. Very odd indeed.

Comment

Gordon Brown HASN'T brought it up

One of the opposition party's MEPs (who, lets face it, is only doing it to put him in an awkward position) has...

Comment

Very, very odd

If Gordon Brown should bring this up I´m sure London will lose the 2012 Games very, very short after.

I believe this is domestic British politics with minor interest to others.

Comment

If precedent means anything, you can be sure that any British boycott would result in retaliation in 2012. You may recall that Jimmy Carter managed to ruin TWO Olympics with his ill-conceived boycott. We and some of our allies boycotted Moscow in 1980 and then the USSR and most of Eastern Europe boycotted Los Angeles in 1984. No good resulted from either boycott.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                            This MP is after them for Darfur. Can the chinese really be accused of genocide in that case?
                            Activists (particularly in Hollywood, where widespread media coverage is assured) have focused intently on China's support of the Sudanese government. This has led to the almost surreal recent headlines about Steven Spielberg and his role as an "artistic adviser" to the Beijing Games.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/sto ... 856&page=1

One has to believe that Spielberg was forced into making a boycott threat by the rather extreme comparison made by Mia Farrow, who wrote in a Wall Street Journal Editorial "Does Mr. Spielberg really want to go down in history as the Leni Riefenstahl of the Beijing Games?"

Comment

Bear in mind that this boycott 'call' is coming from a no-mark opposition MP with no influence over events. There is nothing to suggest that anyone in a position of influence is even contemplating such an asinine thing.

Justin

Comment

Working...
                              X