Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are not alone

Rutgers is cutting swimming, fencing, crew, and tennis.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB ... 92281.html

With a thread title like this I was expecting UFOs and little green men . . .

Comment

I was expecting Michael Jackson.
      Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Re: We are not alone

Originally posted by tandfman
        Rutgers is cutting swimming, fencing, crew, and tennis.l
        That really surprises me. Not only is it THE State University of New Jersey, but it fancies itself (and perhaps rightfully so), as a sort of Ivy League school.

Comment

Men's swimming and diving, and tennis, men's and women's fencing, and men's lightweight and heavyweight crew
          Women's fencing v. Men's swimming,tennis,fencing,crew: slightly disproportionate with the cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar
            slightly disproportionate with the cuts.
            I Title IX
            :evil:

Comment

More like...

I Football

Comment

The best thing is for the universites to stop pretending they are anything other than professional sports organistions. Oh, except if they did that they would have to pay their football and basketball players. Never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                  if they did that they would have to pay their football and basketball players. Never mind.
                  They DO pay them: (4 x Tuition) + (4 x Room & Board) + (4 x books, lab fees, etc.) + per diem. That's easily worth over $40,000 per year at a place like Stanford. Not bad for a full-time student to be pulling in for his 'part-time' (sic) job.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                    Originally posted by Daisy
                    if they did that they would have to pay their football and basketball players. Never mind.
                    They DO pay them: (4 x Tuition) + (4 x Room & Board) + (4 x books, lab fees, etc.) + per diem. That's easily worth over $40,000 per year at a place like Stanford. Not bad for a full-time student to be pulling in for his 'part-time' (sic) job.
                    How many of them graduate (not just Stanford) with a worthwhile degree or education? If they do get a degree then that is something worthwhile.

Comment

Even if they don't get a degree it's worthwhile. Almost no college baseball players with MLB asperations graduate on time. They all leave their Jr. year.
                      Meanwhile I'm sorry for the handful of epee swinging females at Rutgers. As for the male rowers,fencers,swimmers, tennis geeks: tough.

Comment

Even if they don't get a degree it's worthwhile. Almost no college baseball players with MLB asperations graduate on time. They all leave their Jr. year.
                        So why not just call them farm teams and run it as a professional business. Why the pretense of "student" athletes?

Comment

As for the male rowers,fencers,swimmers, tennis geeks: tough.
                          Would you say the same thing if they had discontinued track & field?

Comment

No, I was just trying to imagine what the Woman's Sports Foundation might have said about the men, after their lamenting the loss of woman's fencing.

Comment

Working...
                            X