Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best heavyweight boxer ever?

Ali is the popular choice, since he is a media darling and the media has told us he was the best. But they asked some current boxers the other day about this. Larry Holmes was almost a unanimous choice. What do you think?

I'll be roundly booed for this (isn't Ali the de facto GOAT?), but when Tyson first hit his prime, I just can't see ANYONE beating him.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
      I'll be roundly booed for this (isn't Ali the de facto GOAT?), but when Tyson first hit his prime, I just can't see ANYONE beating him.
      I know how you feel, i felt the same way about a young Cassius Clay.
      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
        Actually, I think the young CC was too cocky and careless and COULD have been beaten, even by a George Foreman type. As he aged, he got lots 'smarter'. To my mind, Ali was the certainly the GOAT in 'ring-sense' in his prime.

Comment

Joe Louis

As for Holmes, I watched his career 'n was never much of a fan. By the end of it, however, I have to grudgingly admit that he was pretty darn good. I'd rate 'im 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            Actually, I think the young CC was too cocky and careless and COULD have been beaten, even by a George Foreman type. As he aged, he got lots 'smarter'. To my mind, Ali was the certainly the GOAT in 'ring-sense' in his prime.
            He was cocky cause no one could touch him. :P
            phsstt!

Comment

Not only was Ali the quickest heavyweight of all-times, but he also had a steel jaw. If you want to see Ali at the height of his powers when it comes to pure boxing skill, watch the Cleveland Williams fight. And besides Ali, there is no other serious heavyweight that I can think of who would have been able to get up and finish the fight after being hit with the haymakers that Joe Frazier hit him with in Ali-Frazier I.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                I can think of who would have been able to get up and finish the fight after being hit with the haymakers that Joe Frazier hit him with in Ali-Frazier I.
                I am of the persuasion that the earlier Tyson uppercut, cleanly connected, was unsurvivable.

Comment

Surely good points, jazzcyclist, all of which point out the importance of how you define the GOAT. Lifefime record? Winner of a round-robin boxoff of the 10 greatest? One-time matchup of randomly chosen pairs? I favor the boxoff and assume that all participants are at their very peak.

All that aside, I once saw an interview with Angelo Dundee, who when asked what was Ali's greatest asset as a boxer, replied "his ability to take a punch".

I just recently watched the Clevland Williams fight. Great stuff, no doubt. But I've also seen the 3 fights with Ken Norton. Norton beat up Ali twice 'n narroly won the 3rd IMO.

Comment

I often wondered how well would Teofilo Stevenson have done as a pro. IMHO, very well.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Heavy Great

El Hajji Muhammad Ali. Greatest ability to take a punch, best agility, superior mental approach, and longevity, w/ title in '64 and '78.

BCB

Comment

Sounds like this little gem might be a nice buy for those with an Ali jones: http://www.amazon.com/Muhammad-Ali-Grea ... 309&sr=8-1

Comment

Rocky Balboa.

Comment

I agree with tafnut on this. NOBODY could hit/intimidate like Tyson in his prime.

Comment

Ali in his prime would have toyed with Tyson, outboxed him 'til he made his head swim.

Comment

Working...
                              X