Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Say what you want about immigration in the USA.......

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say what you want about immigration in the USA.......

.....it will most definitely give a boost to the sport of track and field. And that is a good thing! This is a message to all you "American-born" advocates!

With his double, Lagat will have the exposure Sydney Maree couldn't even dream of!!!!!!

I'm sure Penn Relay fans should have realized that the Jamaicans have kept Penn running for the last 30 years!

And don't worry, Sanya will be back! Bigtime!

Im happy for Lagat and proud of the way he handled the redwhiteandblue.. but I dont think this will do one bit of good for track in the USA... it may inspire many Kenyans to run faster so they can someday live in a prosperous country.. it will do nothing to inspire native born USAians to run track. In this tired overfed culture they will only have another excuse not to run.

Look at where the USA is doing exceptional, 400m 200m 100m.. all distances where they have a sense of their greatness and unmatched ability... take that confidence away and the USA teenager looses interest big time.
    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
      Im happy for Lagat and proud of the way he handled the redwhiteandblue.. but I dont think this will do one bit of good for track in the USA... it may inspire many Kenyans to run faster so they can someday live in a prosperous country.. it will do nothing to inspire native born USAians to run track. In this tired overfed culture they will only have another excuse not to run.

Look at where the USA is doing exceptional, 400m 200m 100m.. all distances where they have a sense of their greatness and unmatched ability... take that confidence away and the USA teenager looses interest big time.
      Just remember, the children of immigrants.......are native-born! (see Lennox Miller's daughter Inger!) Like I said, immigration will help the sport!

And I don't know if Penn floats in the modern era withought the Jamaicans. And props to Penn for recognizing the changing demographics of its fan base; There's a reason Air Jamaica and Golden Krust are now Penn's major sponsors!

Comment

Re: Say what you want about immigration in the USA.......

Originally posted by einnod23
        .....it will most definitely give a boost to the sport of track and field. And that is a good thing! This is a message to all you "American-born" advocates!

With his double, Lagat will have the exposure Sydney Maree couldn't even dream of!!!!!!

I'm sure Penn Relay fans should have realized that the Jamaicans have kept Penn running for the last 30 years!

And don't worry, Sanya will be back! Bigtime!
        As someone who lives in a town of 100,000 less than 5 miles from the Mexican border that has a substantial number of illegal immigrants, let me say that the view from here is that despite it's serious downside, the illegal immigration issue has become an explosive political football FAR EXCEEDING any problems you might see on the local level!! Any immigration threat to national security is far more likely to be posed by our northern border---not only in a financial sense but in a demographic one also!! And at it's worst, the American immigration problem is vastly preferred to what some countries in Europe and elsewhere are experiencing!!

That being said, I think the upside of immigration IS significant in many ways such as the one you point out above, my friend---the athletic benefit!! The USA benefits from immigrants in so many ways---so many east Indians have come here that have brought immeasurable benefit to science, medicine and technology---just to name one of many nationaliites!! :wink:

Comment

Actually, it takes so long to become a US citizen and thus eligible to compete internationally that an adult athlete who emigrates here is taking a real chance that he or she will be past his or her prime before becoming eligible. Lagat is the rare exception. Another is Khalid Khannouchi . We're more likely to lose American athletes to other countries, as with Felix Sanchez

Comment

Mark Platges, Kerron Clement, Meb Keflilizega, Abdi Abdiraman all immigant or immigrants' children.

Comment

I say we kidnap Howe and send him back to LA!

Comment

Working...
              X