• Show
Clear All

• Oops

Umm, yikes. :shock:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j901 ... PqXOPICIzw
    There are no strings on me

paging Col. Bat Guano!

Comment

Ex-military me is telling you that there was no way in heck they could have 'gone off' even if accidentally dropped. The worst that could have happened is that one fell, broke open, and radioactively contaminated the drop area. There's WAY too many fail-safes to allow a nuclear explosion.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
        Ex-military me is telling you that there was no way in heck they could have 'gone off' even if accidentally dropped. The worst that could have happened is that one fell, broke open, and radioactively contaminated the drop area. There's WAY too many fail-safes to allow a nuclear explosion.

No, the worst that happens is one drops, doesn't break open or detonate, but disappears.

Comment

Yeah, but the over-under says Jack finds it in just under 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Not that I'd be able to post video of it here :P

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              And, as 24 corrected illustrated, getting the arming codes for these things can be a real Bee-Atch.

Comment

And, as 24 corrected illustrated, getting the arming codes for these things can be a real Bee-Atch.
                The valuable part would be the weapons-grade uranium/plutonium, not the ability of the device to detonate as-is.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                  The valuable part would be the weapons-grade uranium/plutonium,
                  I hear North Korea is having a Clearance Sale on that stuff!

Comment

But the point to bear in mind is that these guys were not aware that they had nuclear weapons on board the aircraft. Let's consider this.......nuclear weapons......did not know they were there................

Of course they would not have gone off had they been dropped. That was never the point. How the hell do these things, given all of the security provisions that are in place, get that far off the reservation?!?!?

:x

Comment

Heads are currently rolling. The military, as it is wont to do, found some mid-level command officer to blame it on, so the real incompetence can be buried and the higher ranking mucky-mucks are protected. I've seen this sort of thing so many times - the official 'outrage' will last a couple of days more and then we'll be back to business as usual. :roll:

Comment

Right you are, tafnut. Funny how these things have the same lifespan as a news cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by guru

No, the worst that happens is one drops, doesn't break open or detonate, but disappears.
                          Not always the worst that can happen. The bombs have redundant failsafe / arming mechanisms in place to prevent accidental detonation. But, this redundancy doesn't always go as planned. See Goldsboro, NC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mi ... _accidents

Comment

Working...
                          X