• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna Need MJD On This

What say you? Agree or disagree?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20586948/
    There are no strings on me

Re: Gonna Need MJD On This

As someone who is CA house rich and otherwise somewhat cash poor, I agree.

Comment

Agree. I get asked the "do I have enough" question all the time. And that can be tough to explain to someone who just got his ticket stamped because he sold his company and he is not quite there.

Comment

Using an on-line inflation calculator, I see it was roughly 1970 that items costing a total of $1,000,000 then would be cost $5,000,000 now.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
          Using an on-line inflation calculator, I see it was roughly 1970 that items costing a total of $1,000,000 then would be cost $5,000,000 now.
          Sounds about right-I decided about 19 years ago that 3 million was the new 1 million.

Nice not to have to do any currency conversions, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
            97 cents and rising!! :shock: I forget what I vowed to do when it hit par, but I'm sure it was degrading and humiliating!!

Comment

As I said elsewhere. there are likely some currency exchange people in airports, etc., giving people back fewer USAnian dollars for their Canuck bucks. And el gave us one of his typical calculations why it just couldn't happen when I predicted it could happen. I'll bump it at the appropriate time.

Comment

I was in Canada recently and found that merchants were simply accepting US dollars one for one. The exchange rate was around .95 at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                  Are the prices of goods still inflated about 1.5 times over the US? If so, you're getting the short end of the stick (unless you shop south of the border).

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                    I was in Canada recently and found that merchants were simply accepting US dollars one for one. The exchange rate was around .95 at the time.
                    Of course they would. The question is: will USA merchants accept Canadian dollars one-for-one?

Comment

Of course they would. The question is: will USA merchants accept Canadian dollars one-for-one?
                      They used to pay a premium. That was his point. You seem to be missing a lot of those lately.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                        They used to pay a premium. That was his point. You seem to be missing a lot of those lately.
                        But why should or would they, if they can get away with not doing it??!! That's MY point (WYM).

Comment

I don't know where to look it up but when I lived in Canada 1968-69 the Canadian dollar was about US$1,08, as I recall...

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                            I don't know where to look it up but when I lived in Canada 1968-69 the Canadian dollar was about US$1,08, as I recall...
                            True, the slide down started in the mid/late 70s. I remember seeing a poster of a mock Canadian dollar with Trudeau's face on it, which said something to the effect: "85 cents -- true dough!"

Comment

97.19 close today.

Comment

Working...
                              X