Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critic Says TV Offering A Lot Of Good Fare

<<...This is a bad time to be making television, mostly because television is so good.

The knee-jerk reaction to television rarely changes - there's nothing good on - mostly because cliches are easy outs for people who don't want to think or look deeper. The fact is that the creative content in television series has risen exponentially along with higher standards of viewers and more outlets on the dial. Competition often improves the lot, and so it has on television. If the broadcast networks battled among themselves for years - the Big Three, that is: ABC, CBS and NBC - a big dose of upstart Fox didn't hurt as it evolved. So, too, did HBO drive Showtime to be better, and later FX challenged the mighty HBO - without the pay cable element.

Now the competition is more fierce. Excellent television - better options in more places - has been the norm for years, but in the past two seasons there has been critically acclaimed, truly superb work done on TNT, Comedy Central, Oxygen, AMC, Sci-Fi, IFC and others, plus the shiny imports on BBC America. And don't look now - well, you can look at the sidebar for more proof - but America's fifth broadcast network, the CW, has a fall schedule worth noticing....>>

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... BRREP9.DTL

I used to be in the 'there's nothing good on TV' crowd until I got a TiVo. Then I discovered that there were tons of good shows on TV, just either buried on the hundreds of cable channels and/or broadcast at times I was not watching TV. Now I have two TiVos filled with good stuff to watch whenever I feel like it. Our watching of movies on DVDs has dropped dramatically since then.

Comment

Law and Order Criminal Intent is starting this seasons new episodes on cable channels not broadcast.
      Tom Hyland:
      "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

There IS a lot of good stuff. When you have 200 channels, even if only 10% thats really good, thats alot.I recently discover Dexter on showtime. The story of a serial killer who kills serial killers. WOW! And Curb your Enthousiaism sp?
        phsstt!

Comment

I'm an unabashed TV fan (as the 24 threads show). There wasn't much new this summer except shows like Rescue Me and Dead Zone, which the Missus and I never miss. In the fall, we'll give many of the new shows a look-see and end up watching at least one show a night throughout the season.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
            ...There wasn't much new this summer except shows like Rescue Me and Dead Zone, which the Missus and I never miss. .....
            You didn't pick up on either Damages or Saving Grace?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              ...There wasn't much new this summer except shows like Rescue Me and Dead Zone, which the Missus and I never miss. .....
              You didn't pick up on either Damages or Saving Grace?
              I did want to watch Saving Grace, but kept forgetting to watch or DVR it, so gave up. All the hype and endless trailers about Damages made it look like it was trying too hard, so I stayed away. I don't like hard sells. From your question, I take it that it IS worth a shot anyway.

Comment

Saving Grace is supposedly downloadable from TNT (they plug it on the show), but it looks as if the first two episodes are missing, and this is one I wouldn't recommend watching without catching it from the beginning.

No idea about the marketing of Damages (haven't watched a commercial or promo in years; that's what the FF buttons are for, and I never watch anything live; even if I'm really eager, I'll let the show have a 15-20 minute headstart, then w/ the DVR you can play catchup, skilling all the dreck and still finishing at about the same time; but I digress!), but I think it has some of the best plotting I've seen in years.

And Glenn Close and Ted Danson are doing predictably great jobs and the supporting cast isn't far behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Saving Grace is supposedly downloadable from TNT (they plug it on the show), but it looks as if the first two episodes are missing, and this is one I wouldn't recommend watching without catching it from the beginning.
                  I'm sure this reveals some fatal flaw in my personality, but I can't bring myself to watch TV shows on the computer or DVDs. When I DVR shows, there is a one-week window of opportunity for me to watch it, or I lose interest and never do. My wife has bought me DVDs to watch, most recently the first season of House, which we missed, but I LOVE the show. And I can't bring myself to watch that. I wonder why that is.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    I'm sure this reveals some fatal flaw in my personality, but I can't bring myself to watch TV shows on the computer or DVDs. When I DVR shows, there is a one-week window of opportunity for me to watch it, or I lose interest and never do. My wife has bought me DVDs to watch, most recently the first season of House, which we missed, but I LOVE the show. And I can't bring myself to watch that. I wonder why that is.

I think theres a sense that when your watching a show on tv, in its first showing, the viewer has a feeling thats is alive, up todate and topical. . Theres a certain energy to watching SNL live that future viewings, tape or DVD, dont have. Maybe thats it.
                    phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                      Theres a certain energy to watching SNL live that future viewings, tape or DVD, dont have. Maybe thats it.
                      Good point. But then again, SNL has always had such dreadful talent on the show - 2-bit hacks, ne'er-do-wells, has-beens, wannabes, and never-weres! :lol:

Comment

Theres a certain energy to watching SNL live that future viewings, tape or DVD, dont have. Maybe thats it.
                        But then again, SNL has always had such dreadful talent on the show - 2-bit hacks, ne'er-do-wells, has-beens, wannabes, and never-weres! :lol:
                        Very true, and among the pile of long lost hacks and unfunny pretenders and posers, a few gems, wizards of mirth shone like a golden shaft of light in the black night of TV noise. In other words- they didnt all suck.
                        phsstt!

Comment

they didnt all suck.
                          OK, maybe Belushi and Ackroyd, but I can't think of another, can you?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            I can't think of anything better than saving them up. For last couple of years Beauteous Babs and I have been threatening to DVR a whole season of 24, then have an orgiastic weekend watching them all.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              then have an orgiastic weekend watching them all.
                              :shock: TMI!

Comment

Working...
                              X