Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is speculation that the labs are leaking results. If so, isn't that WADA's bailiwick?

Comment

Could be the labs, but we also know that many (see Lagat) of the "leaks" have been flat-out premature announcements by the athlete's own federation.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
        Why do you contend that WADA would have had any hand in leaked results?
        He condones the leaks by not stopping them (if nothing else he could decertify labs where leaked results emanate - goodbye French lab), and Pound has discussed A positive athletes before B results were in.

Comment

You're assuming a level of hands-on control that no CEO should be expcted to have/exercise (no matter how much one might espouse "the buck stops here" thinking).

And decertifying labs would be cutting of proverbial nose to spite face. They have enough trouble as is getting enough working labs to accredit. You wanna shut down the enforcement procedure because somebody has a big mouth?

Oops, the Governer said something bad about that guy that's on trial; we better close the prison he's in!

Comment

Last I checked the athletes were human beings, deserving of all the respect that athletes at the very top level deserve. They are already submitting to a massively degrading and invasive testing procedure to ensure the sport is clean. The process is designed to protect the anonymity of A positive results until a B test is also positive.

We know that for many reasons this cloak of anonymity is flawed. Pound and WADA are responsible of for the process, and ensuring that level of anonymity. There is no evidence that Pound has done anything to resolve this problem, and has taken the opportunity to comment negatively about A-positive athletes prior to B sample testing.

We may have a cleaner sport because of WADA, but we also have one the screws athletes needlessly. It does not need to be this way, and WADA does have the power to fix most of the problem, but seems to relish the outing of the A-positive athlete instead.

Comment

[quote="bad hammy"WADA does have the power to fix most of the problem, but seems to relish the outing of the A-positive athlete instead.[/quote]

Unforgiveable if true. :x
              phsstt!

Comment

I'm at the forefront of the be-kind-to-athletes brigade (I've lost time of how many times I've been excoriated here for being "soft on drugs"), but in this case I think Pound's intentions are above reproach and his results have been exemplary and for all his rhetoric, at the end of the day, it can't be linked to any false test result or flawed arbitration hearing where an athlete got screwed.

Indeed if there's any "rhetoric" here; it's what's being directed against Pound--who has become a flash point--more than what he may have/continues to dispense.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                  Originally posted by bad hammy
                  WADA does have the power to fix most of the problem, but seems to relish the outing of the A-positive athlete instead.
                  Of course its true - you read it right here on the Internet!! :lol:

Comment

[quote=bad hammy]
                    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                    Originally posted by "bad hammy":3napyq6j
                    WADA does have the power to fix most of the problem, but seems to relish the outing of the A-positive athlete instead.
                    Of course its true - you read it right here on the Internet!! :lol:[/quote:3napyq6j]

I dont believe anything. I dont even believe you exist. You could be just some super computer....ok .well fairly super computer posting from Gerry Lindgrens basement for all i know.
                    phsstt!

Comment

gh - I think that the French lab in particular has a direct link with L'Equipe. This is not something that has happened once or twice but probably at least a dozen times in cycling and possibly several dozen. If WADA does not have control over the labs -- i.e., they do not follow the proscribed rules -- then how do we know they are honest or accurate or competent in the testing?

Who's job is it to keep the labs in line with their obligations? The athlete's? WADA can set up a system of penalties or whatever, but saying that it is OK to have a rogue lab is, well, not very good.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe the French lab has not leaked dozens of results.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        I see no problem: the guy is the best thing that ever happened to WADA. He gave it balls (and teeth).
                        They said the same thing when Hitler took over Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
                          Originally posted by gh
                          I see no problem: the guy is the best thing that ever happened to WADA. He gave it balls (and teeth).
                          They said the same thing when Hitler took over Germany.
                          An uncalled for comparison. I don't agree with everything he has done but he's a good guy personally, and a lot of Garry's comments are correct. He also gave up many things to serve as head of WADA - one thing in particular is that in the later 90s he was being mentioned as a possible MLB commissioner, but his actions with WADA obviously eliminated that option.

Comment

gh this is not the wild wild west no matter how much rhetoric one wants to spew on the topic.
                            Pound did not hurt an individual he hurt the sport. WADA is a fringe organization to the big sports and Pound tried to bully his way in, he failed actually. WADA is not feared or powerful but more of an annoyance to the big three (or 2).
                            As far as his personal ways, they brought questions to his campaign, questions of the agencies integrity. If he were all you say he were then the ship would have been as meticulous as the head man professed to be and as you are trying to portray him. However, what he created and condoned was a win by any means necessary, which made leaking test results a common practice. And it is not all about the labs, labs have tubes and numbers, they need a master key to get names, that has to come from someone outside of the lab. Not saying it is Pound by any means, but clearly those under him felt empowered to do whatever it took to catch these guilty as sin cheaters.
                            The result, is a number of false positives, including Lagat and Marion, and a brutal pr hit to the sport of track and field.

It also did not help that this all started after he lost a bitter battle for a political seat he felt he was shafted out of.

Sorry gh, I know what you are getting at, but the ends do not justify the means on this. What you are talking about would have been true if not for Pound's personal quirks.

Comment

As far as athletics leaks, the first entity which could unlock the code would have been USADA. Have you seen how tight-lipped Tygart is on pending cases? They wouldn:t have leaked the 2006 test -- doing so would have dealt a gaping blow to their credibility and investigation of the athlete in question. The said athlete had a legal team which pointed to another five-letter entity beggining with USA__, not USADA or WADA.

Comment

I'm on board with Pound's agenda: "I'm the big, bad Sheriff in town and you bad guys better fear me and stay outta town." My problem is that he goes a step further and says, "Hey, look at me - I'm the biggest baddest MF west of the Mississippi, and I make the Law 'round these here parts."

It was his self-aggrandizement and brusque bravado that made him a detriment to his own cause. I do want a strong arm on my side, but not an egomaniacal bully, who thinks he's above the law.

Comment

Working...
                                X